bad things come in threes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
out in the peaks today and i suffered a puncture, a snapped gear cable and my rear mud guard decided to jam between the brake caliper and tyre resulting in my rear wheel locking up at 30mph as i came down winnats pass- the friction was such that the mud guard actually melted and i feel very lucky not to have crashed, won't be using mudguards again in a hurry- f*ck me that was scary, all in all a terrible ride :biggrin:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
It's all that mileage you put in...bike says no.

Glad you're still in one piece, though I agree with Lee-mudguards?!

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
User3143 said:
Mudguards Andy....mudguards?!?!

some riders in these parts bitch like no bodies business about a lack of mudguards :biggrin:, i won't be replacing them though, **** it...

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
No sounded like a close call tbh. Melted mudguards?!!! I've heard stories about your riding! The one thing re mudguards is that they're considerate to riding in a group as you don't spray your fellow cyclists but can cause so many problems.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
question is can i be bothered to go down to jejames and buy a new gear cable this afternoon so i can do strines, holme moss, snake pass and frogatt ride tomorrow? it looks cold out there :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I have the same debate, but whether to go down the chesterfield store 9 miles away and have a look at their thermals.

The weather station says it ain't that cold, then again it said that yesterday and I was out when it was snowing hard.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
marinyork said:
I have the same debate, but whether to go down the chesterfield store 9 miles away and have a look at their thermals.

The weather station says it ain't that cold, then again it said that yesterday and I was out when it was snowing hard.

i've had a kind offer from a 3rd year who's going to provide a cable and help me change it at his house in crookes, why go so far when there's one in sheffield?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
iLB said:
i've had a kind offer from a 3rd year who's going to provide a cable and help me change it at his house in crookes, why go so far when there's one in sheffield?

The one in chesterfield I find tends to be better for stock and has all the 'serious' stuff.

And that's good, the snake and froggatt will be fine unless you get a scenario like Tuesday night.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Flippin 'eck mate. That sounds nasty. There's an awful feeling where everything you've learnt about handling a bike becomes suddenly irrelevant by a rule change down below. Can be a wobbly crank, a stuck wheel, failing handlebars, cracked tubes.

Anytime you get through a game changer like this uninjured is a good result mate. Glad you survived it. Nasty nasty nasty.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
longers said:
Winnats today and those hills tomorrow?

Chapeau :biggrin:

strictly speaking it was mam nick (sp?) that i did today for a little extra climbing and then down winnats- but still this time tomorrow i'll be feckin knackered :laugh::thumbsup:

@ andy- seems like a good way of looking at it, guardian angels certainly helped :smile: saw a vision of the future in the basement of the kind third year i went to see this basically a whole bike work shop + winter bike + summer bike + TT bike + multiple wheel sets + turbo - i like the look of the future :biggrin:

Top Bottom