Bag for top of pannier rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Recently I got a set of these, and very nice they are too:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-City-Pannier-Bag_70711.htm

Note the way that the fabric in between, atop the rack, has recesses; these act as a handle when you take the bags off, very handy.

However, that design feature has given me a little conundrum. I'd like a bag to sit on top of the rack, also, for when I need a bit more capacity, something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=btr+rack+bag

Problem is, the straps are placed such that I can't thread them onto the rack, as it's covered by the pannier bags. If there was a bag like this with two straps at one end and one in the middle, or straps in each corner, that would be ideal.

Anybody know of such an item?

Edit: top tube bags are the devil's work, and I won't countenance them :laugh:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Altura and Topeak (some slide on to a specific rack so those would be no good) have a range, I expect the big Evans at Mortimer Street or Spitalfields would have them to look at...or Google for images

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

I had the same problem.I just secure the rack bag with bungee cords,it's never moved.
I don't really want to resort to bungee cords unless I have to, though. I haven't ruled it out, but I'd prefer something a bit more elegant.

vickster

Legendary Member
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Should have gone for the Topeak slide on rack with the rack pack with the fold down panniers ;)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-mtx-trunk-bag-exp/rp-prod28792
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-super-tourist-dx-rack/rp-prod32817 (they also do a disc version)
Should have, could have, would have... The swearwords of cognitive behavioural therapy ^_^

I probably should have bought something more modular, but (1) I'm tight, and (2) the amount of touring I do means that they'd be wasted most of the time.

I'm surprised I got a pass out to do what I'm doing :laugh:

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Elegant is over rated^_^
True... Exposing my legs is the visual equivalent of seeing a tramp pushing his belongings around in a supermarket trolley, so I suppose a couple of bungee cords isn't going to cause much more distress to the aesthetes out there :laugh: **

** Edit: as long as they are black

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Should have, could have, would have... The swearwords of cognitive behavioural therapy ^_^

I probably should have bought something more modular, but (1) I'm tight, and (2) the amount of touring I do means that they'd be wasted most of the time.

I'm surprised I got a pass out to do what I'm doing :laugh:
I have used for commuting - can fit laptop, shoes, clothes, papers and all manner of other stuff

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

I think I've found my answer... Vaude Silkroad. The one I've gone for expands to 15 litres, comes with a raincover, is very well reviewed... And, most importantly, has the straps on the corners.

If it doesn't work properly, it'll be up on here with appropriate discount :rolleyes:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I think I've found my answer... Vaude Silkroad. The one I've gone for expands to 15 litres, comes with a raincover, is very well reviewed... And, most importantly, has the straps on the corners.

If it doesn't work properly, it'll be up on here with appropriate discount :rolleyes:

@Dec66 - how did you get on with your Vaude Silkroad? I'm thinking about this one as it seems to be the size I need. My panniers are Vaude and have served me well.

I don't really want to resort to bungee cords unless I have to, though. I haven't ruled it out, but I'd prefer something a bit more elegant.
Ortlieb panniers are more elegant, and have their own fastener clips, but you'll pay for the privilege. For lower budget options, look for single panniers, not those that are joined together. Pair these with a rack with a lower bar (e.g. tubus logo) and the panniers won't interfere with any top bags. You'll need only to look to touring setups for inspiration.

It's nice to have the option to run only one pannier if needed.

Tubus-Logo-Evo-Rear-Rack-3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

@Dec66 - how did you get on with your Vaude Silkroad? I'm thinking about this one as it seems to be the size I need. My panniers are Vaude and have served me well.
Hi Anne, sorry I haven't been about... That looks very much like the one I got, and it's excellent. For most of my French trip I just used that, and not the Giant bags.

It's roomy, well made, it's got loads of useful pockets, the straps are well placed and adaptable, and it comes with a shoulder strap if you want to park up and take it with you while you wander round a town square, or similar. Oh, and it has a lurid red rain cover, too.

I thoroughly recommend it.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Hi Anne, sorry I haven't been about... That looks very much like the one I got, and it's excellent. For most of my French trip I just used that, and not the Giant bags.

It's roomy, well made, it's got loads of useful pockets, the straps are well placed and adaptable, and it comes with a shoulder strap if you want to park up and take it with you while you wander round a town square, or similar. Oh, and it has a lurid red rain cover, too.

I thoroughly recommend it.
Brilliant, thanks. I'll order one.

My panniers are great, but if I'm just going for a ride - rather than shopping - it'll be handy to have something smaller.

Top Bottom