1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bag for top of pannier rack

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Dec66, 21 Apr 2017.

1. Dec66

Dec66 Über Member

Recently I got a set of these, and very nice they are too:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-City-Pannier-Bag_70711.htm

Note the way that the fabric in between, atop the rack, has recesses; these act as a handle when you take the bags off, very handy.

However, that design feature has given me a little conundrum. I'd like a bag to sit on top of the rack, also, for when I need a bit more capacity, something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=btr+rack+bag

Problem is, the straps are placed such that I can't thread them onto the rack, as it's covered by the pannier bags. If there was a bag like this with two straps at one end and one in the middle, or straps in each corner, that would be ideal.

Anybody know of such an item?

Edit: top tube bags are the devil's work, and I won't countenance them :laugh:

Last edited: 21 Apr 2017
  2. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Altura and Topeak (some slide on to a specific rack so those would be no good) have a range, I expect the big Evans at Mortimer Street or Spitalfields would have them to look at...or Google for images

Dec66 likes this.
  3. arch684

arch684 Über Member

I had the same problem.I just secure the rack bag with bungee cords,it's never moved.

4. Dec66

Dec66 Über Member

I don't really want to resort to bungee cords unless I have to, though. I haven't ruled it out, but I'd prefer something a bit more elegant.

5. arch684

arch684 Über Member

Elegant is over rated^_^

Dec66 likes this.
  6. vickster

Nebulous, raleighnut and Dec66 like this.
  7. Milzy

Milzy Über Member

Say..... nice bags.

8. Dec66

Dec66 Über Member

Should have, could have, would have... The swearwords of cognitive behavioural therapy ^_^

I probably should have bought something more modular, but (1) I'm tight, and (2) the amount of touring I do means that they'd be wasted most of the time.

I'm surprised I got a pass out to do what I'm doing :laugh:

9. Dec66

Dec66 Über Member

True... Exposing my legs is the visual equivalent of seeing a tramp pushing his belongings around in a supermarket trolley, so I suppose a couple of bungee cords isn't going to cause much more distress to the aesthetes out there :laugh: **

** Edit: as long as they are black

Last edited: 21 Apr 2017
    arch684 likes this.
  10. vickster

I have used for commuting - can fit laptop, shoes, clothes, papers and all manner of other stuff

Dec66 likes this.
  11. Dec66

Dec66 Über Member

I think I've found my answer... Vaude Silkroad. The one I've gone for expands to 15 litres, comes with a raincover, is very well reviewed... And, most importantly, has the straps on the corners.

If it doesn't work properly, it'll be up on here with appropriate discount :rolleyes: