Bagpuss Had It Right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I think the current situation probably always was and certainly is a lot les simple and more nuanced than a binary case of a "power imbalance" or men "having the upper hand" in a public discourse. I certainly haven't experienced that. I do feel that assuming a "power imbalance" could be a very convenient way for bad actors to control the public discourse.

I think if we are going to say a certain joke or statement is "offensive" when it refers to one group, then it would be offensive to all groups; if it's fine to use a certain brand of humour with reference to one group, then it should be fine in the case of any group.

My concern again is the assumption that it's fine when it refers to members of certain groups, because that group is allegedly "more powerful" having power because of being part of that group, because that can lead to a society no-one wants to live in, well, except those who actively advocate for that.

I think I may have exceeded my monthly quota for the word "group" in that paragraph.

I think it would be fair to say it's an interpretation of what you are seeing, as is mine. We don't disagree on what we see, but we may disagree on the reasons and where the power lies.

Either way I was thinking of "theory" as in "critical theory" or "intersectional theory" as I was seeing echoes of its ideas about power imbalances in what you were saying. Indeed, its founders and influencers advocate(d) the solutions I mentioned.

Who'd have thought that a slightly odd looking pussy (oh dear) could spark this train of philosophical discourse.

Too much for me on a Friday night - the weekend beckons...

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Point of order..

Why do our magnificent lady parts, so often get used as a slur against people (often chaps) who really aren't very nice..

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/twat

It seems a deeply unfair comparison ..🙄

Because if we didn't use it, then a lot of us would never see one.

These swear words, whether about male or female parts, have long since finished having any relevance to their original meaning, and the more widespread swearing gets the less they mean anything at all.

I have worked, and played, in environments where just about every other word is a swear word and they have totally lost the ability to shock.

For my sins, and to my regret, I watched the first episode of the new Steve Coogan TV series, Chivalry, last night and it had to make a big self-indulgent show of using the c-word in a pathetic attempt to make itself appear relevant. (My regret was not about the language but about wasting another half hour of my life watching the unfunny stars trying to crawl so far up their own backsides)

On the one hand I found its use pathetic but, on the other, thought that the more it is used the sooner it loses its shock value and will just become another insult like "twerp".

Top Bottom