Bagpuss Had It Right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Point of order..

Why do our magnificent lady parts, so often get used as a slur against people (often chaps) who really aren't very nice..

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/twat

It seems a deeply unfair comparison ..🙄

I understand the origin of the word but I think wide use means it has become a more general low level term of disdain these days without sexual connotations. Nevertheless, I am sorry to have offended you, and because I have respect for you I will try to avoid a repeat.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm no expert on what women find attractive in a guy .

I can only speak for myself..

But I think you'll find that woman degrading expletives, being distributed by a chap, isn't something that generally puts us in a 'friendly' mood.. 🤔

You didn't see everyone dancing to Jay-Z at our wedding.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I understand the origin of the word but I think wide use means it has become a more general low level term of disdain these days without sexual connotations. Nevertheless, I am sorry to have offended you, and because I have respect for you I will try to avoid a repeat.

S'okay .
I wasn't really that offended ..

I am 'of this world'

It's more annoyance that something so blameless, so marvellous , such a giver of life and pleasure should be casually downgraded to be compared with an 'everyday idiot'

Anyhoo, I'm awar to have a beer n pizza with mine 'civil' companion who would never dare to use such language in my presence..

😊😇

Bottoms up ...

You didn't see everyone dancing to Jay-Z at our wedding.

You're right ..
I didn't Jim 🧐

Last edited:
The other word for that gets used at work, usually aimed at "that useless...". Usually some "wit" argues that he's not because said body part is useful! Funny enough that's aimed at the same guy but he's left now so I'll probably not hear it so much any more.

Jody

Stubborn git
Interestingly (?) none of my "drinking pals" (an all male group of 6, including myself) swear routinely, in conversation, or, as far as I am aware, in writing.

Different strokes for different folks.

As to German humour I haven't known many Germans. Mostly fun people to be around iirc but a little too competitive at times. One guy was known for having complete tantrums when he messed up. Very awkward for his team mates when everyone we spoke to mentions his aggressive paddy when we tell them we're X team. I hope I've just met a dodgy one!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To get back slightly tangentially on topic it is interesting that the Welsh language didn't have the same sort of swear words as the English language, especially those based on body parts, so adopted slightly changed versions of the usual Anglo-Saxon suspects.

This article explains:
View: https://teashoesandhair.tumblr.com/post/123361938678/this-is-a-random-question-but-welsh-swearing#:~:text=Welsh%20is%20a%20bit%20funny,really%20any%20specific%20swear%20words

A common Welsh expletive when I was a kid in west Wales was "iesgyrn", perhaps equivalent meaning to "bugger-me!" but is actually a minced oath, which in full would be "esgyrn Dafydd" ie "(saint) David's bones". Being even mildly blasphemous is considered quite rude in those parts. Calling someone "diawl" ie "devil" is a quite strong insult perhaps equivalent to "f'in bastard"

Last edited:
Top Bottom