Bagpuss Had It Right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Few have been scouring the football thread because the topic is so boring that people would want to drill holes in their head to let the dull out again, plus some of us hoped/assumed that the post had been removed by now and it was just that the mods were a bit slow while they deliberated about a borderline matter.

More generally, I don't agree with some posts above that casual racism or xenophobia being widely accepted among football fans (if it indeed still is: I hoped the "Kick Racism Out" campaigns had some effect) is a good reason to allow it to pollute a cycling fan site.

Lol.

Great Poe!

(Isn't it?)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
3/10 for mentioning of toys and prams and laughing at people who are unhappy about racism or xenophobia. You could get a higher score by including snowflakes, cancel culture, woke or any of the other cyclechat greatest hits. Even some fish puns might help.
Note to self must try harder

Slick

Guru
That maybe part of the perceived problem; a post by Bagpuss was loudly denounced as 'sexist' by some, when it may not have been intended as such, and now a post is considered 'racist' by someone but is allowed to remain; it could be seen as a double standard.
I never saw the sexist comment but I've always considered racist remarks to relate to race, nothing else. Although I think its now clear this thread was never about that comment anyway.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
The later years...

Alex321

Veteran
"The moderater who at will closes / locks / deletes threads refuses to do anything about an openly racist comment on the football thread."

First line of the OP. This thread was always about football.

It has never been about football. The fact it was a comment on the football thread that caused his outrage doesn't mean it was about football.

It was about an allegedly racist comment, and the moderation (or lack) thereof.

I never saw the sexist comment but I've always considered racist remarks to relate to race, nothing else. Although I think its now clear this thread was never about that comment anyway.

I have come across a theory that for a statement to be sexist/racist/whatever, it only has to be considered such by someone who hears it or reads it, regardless of the actual content or indeed the intent of the person who made it.

Alex321

Veteran

When I was moderator on a different forum, we considered anything derogatory about a nation or nationality to be racist, although we knew that technically it wasn't. It got treated as if it was.

Slick

Guru
I have come across a theory that for a statement to be sexist/racist/whatever, it only has to be considered such by someone who hears it or reads it, regardless of the actual content or indeed the intent of the person who made it.

I'm not sure I buy into that as you do get individuals claiming all sorts of things when the truth is much closer to 2 adults falling out and one taking the huff.

Slick

Guru
When I was moderator on a different forum, we considered anything derogatory about a nation or nationality to be racist, although we knew that technically it wasn't. It got treated as if it was.

Which Is absolutely fine, as you all knew it wasn't. 👍

Top Bottom