Balance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Following a nice post on here by an newbie about learning to ride, how easy is it for you to balance on your bike? Do you find yourself still a little bit shakey?

I seem to have the balance factor in the bag now. I find it easy to push off when I an starting and can stablise myself nicely to get my feet in the clips.
I do have a few problems in stopping where as unless I am coming to a fast halt, I seem to wiggle about a bit when I am putting my foot down. And if I dont get my foot in straight away again, I can find myself having to pedal more to have the time to get it in.

I recall being very quick to learn how to balance as I used stablisers when I was a kid and learnt very quickly without them. I have never fallen off because of my balance (apart from trackstanding) at a stop or start point.

I do find it difficult to cycle in a straight line in a strong headwind though. But that is the same with everyone.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's quite easy to cycle a straight line into a headwind. Do you mean cycling with a sidewind?

Apart from that I have no balance issues at all apart from not being able to trackstand, but it's only because I can't be arsed to learn.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The problem with a headwind is that it isnt in one direction so it throws you about a little. A sidewind does the same but that is you trying to fight it which causes you to wobble.

As I live right on the coast, I have the unfortunacy of having a headwind whichever way I go. It is a real pain.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes I can imagine coastal living/cycling has it's pitfalls.

But no, cycling into a headwind is no problem balance wise apart from it's bloody hard work.

Dan_h

Can't say I have given it a lot of thought, I can't trackstand but apart from that the bike generally seems to stay upright and roughly where I want it! Sidewinds can be a pain, particularly when you pass an obstacle that shelters you then you suddenly get the full force of it. I had a bit of a balance problem yesterday about 30 miles into my 50 mile ride, but that was mainly because my rear tyre had gone flat!

MattHB

Proud Daddy
:laugh: Gaz I love your vids

byegad

Legendary Member
All two wheeled vehicles move in slight curves, usually so slight that you are unaware of them. The slower you go the 'larger' the curves. Riders deny it but look at the tracks left after a puddle and you'll see it for yourself.

Blue

Legendary Member
Yes I can imagine coastal living/cycling has it's pitfalls.

But no, cycling into a headwind is no problem balance wise apart from it's bloody hard work.

You can say that again. I live on a coast and can't recall exactly the last time I cycled on a calm day - I think it was about 3 years ago!

Having said that, on a sunny day the views can be spectacular and the air is always fresh.

If my club started holding their TT's in-land and on flat terrain all would be perfect in my world.

Top Bottom