Bambi-On-Ice? How Were You

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Not been cycling for too long, but my nephew convinced me to get rid of the toe loops, and get some SPD's fitted. He said I would go longer and faster using less energy .... oh and I would look a proper cyclist.

He sent me details of some Shimano A600 touring pedals, and details about fitting the cleats to some shoes I had to buy, and then tips on clipping in and out ..... oh and wear some elbow and knee pads because you are going to fall off!! Well the getting used to them didn't work out so I took to the roads, in a gingerly sort of way, trying to get in and out them. Slowly getting the hang, and then had to stop and make some adjustments. I did this 3 times and have one slightly looser for now just in case my near side one doesn't come out as planned.

Didn't fall off (Quiet roads with only 3 traffic lights) Got the hang of it and enjoyed it although had a puncture half mile from home. But although I had to crawl the last half mile on my slow puncture, my average speed was up, and I had made stops for adjustments and slowed for practicing etc. I may have felt fairly confident at the end but guess I looked like a wally at times. Does anyone just take to it like a duck to water?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would have them both loose until you get used to them.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I took to mine straight away.... until I fell off two weeks later. They get you just as you're feeling confident you've cracked it :laugh:

Leodis

Veteran
Yeah took to them like a duck to water, a year later I had a slow off snapped my humerus and smashed humerus ball plus some other minor falls due to SPD's... Am I switching to flats, nar.

Osprey

Guru
I was cycling through Caswell this summer. A beautiful bay full of tourists when a car pulled out in front of me causing me to slam on the brakes. I was just thinking that was lucky I didn't hit him when I realised I hadn't unclipped. Embarrising, :blush:

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
Took over 10 years, but eventually they got me...... I unclipped on the right, then got distracted by a beep from my Garmin and fell over on the left!! In front of all my neighbours.

Up till then I had never had an issue. :smile:

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
So everyone falls off? why use SPD's then, why not toe loops or flatties with grips. Must be a reason everyone does it and it can't be because everyone wants to look and feel a tool in front of neighbours, school kids, your relations, or worse you get hit by a car

MikeW-71

Veteran
It's "Pro" innit ;)

They hold your feet in place better than toe clips, that's it basically. I'm sure not everyone falls off, but it seems quite common for it to happen at some stage during the learning process.

Having said that, there are at least 4 riders on here that I've been on rides with that use flats and are perfectly happy with them. 2 of those are on road bikes.

Low Roller

You will fall off, believe me, and probably in the most public of places......:thanks:
For me, it was in the centre of St.Etienne on a fully laden touring bike, tired out after an exhausting ride to get there. I had all the French laughing and hooting their horns. It was a very slow speed topple to the right onto some bushes in the central reservation in front of traffic lights. It is indelibly imprinted on my memory.

Top Bottom