Bananas ......... anyone else find there are so many that look fine but are bad inside ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We tend to eat lots of bananas. Lately we have found that many of them look & feel firm & healthy but inside lots of them are bad e.g. black (not bruised but black all the way through).
We bought a bunch last week-end and over half of them were bad.
We buy from a variety of stores so its not just one source.......although they may source from the same supplier.

Ugh. All bananas are bad on the inside.

Plantains are cool, however.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Why were they bad ?

i dont mind them when the skins are brown and the fruit is soft where as other half only likes firm ones !!!! :laugh:
Why ??? no idea.
Skins are nice & yellow.....even partly greenish sometimes. Normally approx' 50% (at the end where you open it) is fine but the bottom section "appears" to be ok but is horrible and black in the middle. There is a 'tell-tale' grey(ish) section on the outside but inside its rotten.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Why ??? no idea.
Skins are nice & yellow.....even partly greenish sometimes. Normally approx' 50% (at the end where you open it) is fine but the bottom section "appears" to be ok but is horrible and black in the middle. There is a 'tell-tale' grey(ish) section on the outside but inside its rotten.

I too have found this often. More so at work where they sometimes store them in the fridge.

Tin Pot

Guru
We tend to eat lots of bananas. Lately we have found that many of them look & feel firm & healthy but inside lots of them are bad e.g. black (not bruised but black all the way through).
We bought a bunch last week-end and over half of them were bad.
We buy from a variety of stores so its not just one source.......although they may source from the same supplier.
No, never.

Tesco and Morrisons

Jody

Stubborn git
Yes i have noticed a lot more bad bananas recently. Sometimes they show a slight bruise on the outside and sometimes they look OK. Its frustrating as I thought it was my handling of them first.

Suspect they've been stored at too cold a temperature, frozen or close to that...

Not had that problem with bananas, but have encountered it with other supermarket-bought fruit.

Top Bottom