Bananas ......... anyone else find there are so many that look fine but are bad inside ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A lot of supermarket fruit is kept in warehouses for months on end before distribution, I try to get things in season and from the U.K if possible.

Likewise. UK stuff that's in season tastes so much better. Soft fruit i.e. strawberries and raspberries is the classic case in point. It's rare that the imported stuff bought in the depths of winter is any good.

Mind, since I buy most of my fruit on YS, if it's manky then it's not big loss. If I'd paid the full whack, I'd be rather more peeved. Though general rule of thumb is that even on YS, most things still need at least a week in a warm room before it's fully ripe. Have had plums that could still be sold to the military for ammunition after a fortnight...

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
A lot of supermarket fruit is kept in warehouses for months on end before distribution, I try to get things in season and from the U.K if possible.

I recently read somewhere (might have been bbc website) that apples bought in the supermarket may actually be two years old, they spray something on them and keep them in the dark which keeps them "fresh" for that long!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I too have found this often. More so at work where they sometimes store them in the fridge.
This above.
The veg man could come at 5am while the delivery porter does not start until 8.
Bananas left out in the frost will look normal, but become black inside.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why ??? no idea.
Skins are nice & yellow.....even partly greenish sometimes. Normally approx' 50% (at the end where you open it) is fine but the bottom section "appears" to be ok but is horrible and black in the middle. There is a 'tell-tale' grey(ish) section on the outside but inside its rotten.
You opening them at the correct end!!

And have you checked where they are actually coming from. The information is on the label.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You opening them at the correct end!!

And have you checked where they are actually coming from. The information is on the label.
I have tried opening them in the middle. I have tried opening the wrong end. I have even tried eating them without opening them.......all to no avail alas.
Checked the labels. some came from Aldi and others from Asda.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have tried opening them in the middle. I have tried opening the wrong end. I have even tried eating them without opening them.......all to no avail alas.
Checked the labels. some came from Aldi and others from Asda.
They come with their own handle, so I'm guessing you're opening at the wrong end!

The label is yellow and green/red in colour. Usually circular, and as well as the country of production, there will be a number. The number indicates you are eating what you think, amongst other things.

Number you're looking for will be something like this #4011, clearly indicating, in this case, that it is indeed a banana.
#4101, however is an French apple.

Just so you know!

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I find it's best to buy them in bulk.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We used to import most of ours from Chile, no longer the case though. Is this down to this time in '82?
Sorry, Maggie was just shorthand for an old git's nostalgia. The bananas I get today are too firm and taste of nothing at all, no matter how long you leave them to ripen. I miss that faint whiff of acetone.

Grump...

Top Bottom