bananas etc, how long until you feel the benefit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Oh im sorry everyone, you were right, veganism is so unhealthy............... as mentioned before. Look at how fat they are from all that sugar, everyone is so weak.

Since when has appearance been a valid indicator of health?
Have you ever seen a person suffering from anorexia, they don't look fat but are hardly considered to be the benchmark for great health.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Shame this thread became derailed because I was interested in the original question.

So in a probably fruitless (ho-ho) attempt to get it back on track....

The fact that tennis players eat bananas during a game suggests to me the energy benefits kick in fairly quickly.

It would be instructive to find out their dietary regime in the hours leading up to a game.

Shame this thread became derailed because I was interested in the original question.

The fact that tennis players eat bananas during a game suggests to me the energy benefits kick in fairly quickly.

It would be instructive to find out their dietary regime in the hours leading up to a game.

I'd guess you're right. They usually offer then at sportive aid stations and I've been offered banana segments at long distance tris but these are less dependent on the speed the sugar gets on your blood unless you've bonked. Tennis is a different ball game (sorry) but I'd guess they eat ahead as such at pre-planned intervals worked out in training before feeling any negative effects on endurance/performance.

I'm surprised Wimbledon hasen't been highjacked by sponsors with energy products with the massive tv audiences. High five don't do bananas.

Sara_H

Guru
[QUOTE 2503134, member: 9609"]The one on thr right looks about perfect[/quote]

Banana 5 or six for me. Wouldn't touch 1, 2, or 3. Banana 7 would be made into cake.

Sara_H

Guru
I can provide a postal address should there ever be any surplus.

The liklihood of surplus is prsctically non existance, but you have first dibs!

[QUOTE 2536004, member: 9609"]I wonder if you were to shut your eyes and someone was to feed you a piece of each, which one would be the nicest.

Many years ago, whilst totally obsessed by the weight of everything on long distance wild camping trips (hillwalking) I decided to unzip a few bananas and carry the contents in a small plastic bag (save on weight of carrying skins for 30 or 40 mile) When I come to eat them, I was so disappointed in how they looked, just black gunge, It took some willpower to swallow it.[/quote]

If you're really enthusiastic you could dehydrate your own to save space and weight. Or buy dried fruit if you've got more sense than me.

RiflemanSmith

[QUOTE 2503134, member: 9609"]The one on thr right looks about perfect[/quote]
I can only eat number 3 or 4 after that they are too sweet and soft.

ayceejay

Guru
I guy gets on the tube, he has a banana stuck in each ear. People look but say nothing.
A kid steps up and says "Hey mister, why do you have bananas in your ears."
The guy looked at the kid and said "Sorry son I can't hear what you are saying, see I have bananas in my ears."

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I love bananas, but 20 or more a day ain't good. I've managed about 7 in a day doing 120 miles at near 20mph, along with anything else my stomach would take.

If you look at the Paleo diet, this is very much like unrefined food sources we had in our early development as humans, and it included meat. But there is so much jumbo jumbo about diet plans. Fact is balanced diets are the best.

Even as a meat eater, I recon I cant always get enough protein, how the hell you get it from limited food sources is beyond me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Bananas are a holy grail food for cyclists, much prefer one than a gel, BUT it has to be backed up with more complex carbs and indeed protein for muscle repair. I eat stacks of them, but balance it out with other foods. It's not something I use as a meal.

How people can limit their food tastes is beyond me. There is a place for fish and chips, as there is for a home cooked curry, or indeed a simple bowl of porridge. Humans have evolved. Now maccy d every day and fizzy pop isn't good.

Top Bottom