Band on Derailleur Size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I need a new band-on front derailleur. I am planning on replacing a knackered Microshift jobby with a 105 5700. My bike is a 20 speed Boardman CX.

The trouble is, I have no idea what band-on size I need! I measured the tube at 140mm circumference and divided by 3.14 as per GCSE maths (now mostly a distant, foggy memory) to get a figure of 44.5mm

But the 105 only comes in sizes up to 34.9mm.

I'm guessing the issue here is with my measuring/calculating.

Should I just get the biggest option? Or be looking at a different brand of derailleur?

Cheers.

S-Express

take the seatpost out and measure across the top of the seat tube - that should get you near enough...

Not if the seat tube is 34.9 it won't.

Useful guide here:

9cm seat tube circumference = 28.6mm clamp
10cm seat tube circumference = 31.8mm clamp
11cm seat tube circumference = 34.9mm clamp

OP either your maths is wrong, or you haven't measured the tube circumference correctly.

The part I quoted will work, no need to mess around measuring the wrong bit of the bike

S-Express

The part I quoted will work, no need to mess around measuring the wrong bit of the bike

Your link is to a FD for either 28.6 or 31.8 dia fixing. So, if the bike requires a 34.9 FD, then it won't fit - which is the point I was making that you (still) seem to be missing..

Last edited:
I don't know which model year you have but currently the seatpost is 31.6 so I imagine the 34.9 will be the one but you really need to measure it.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
get a cheap set of vernier callipers and remove the element of guesswork
Looks like a nice tool, but having got through the last 38 years without needing any (or even knowing what they were) I'm not sure how much use I would be likely to get out of them.

Ignore me if this is a daft suggestion but you have the old one, don't you? Can't you use that as a guide?
No. I binned it when I couldn't get it to work loose. Silly really.

This is the one I'm replacing, so I think @Racing roadkill is right about the one I need, but will take the seatpost out and measure the seat tube tonight to be sure.

Cheers.

Top Bottom