Bank Holiday Ride -London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The ferry runs from Bosham harbour to Itchenor. I've never used it. When I've been going down towards the Witterings or Selsey, I've followed my usual route into the city & then gone south from there. The ferry could be an nice diversion (Bosham is lovely), but the roads on the amusingly named Manhood peninsula are fairly quiet & the scenery's nice. The southern part of the Chi ring road is busy but passable with care, I've not had any problems. I'm not sure we'd save anything on mileage or time by going to the ferry.

I'd suggest HPC. 8 is OK for me.

That sounds good for me as well.

What sort of route does everyone want?

Easiest route without too much thinking about it, would be the traditional Brighton FNRttC route as far as Horley, then skirting north of Gatwick Airport on the back roads to Faygate, then through Horsham onto the Bognor route as far as Ford, then onto Barnham and on the back roads south of the A27, skirting south of Chichester to Wittering.

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
East Wittering. 70 miles from London, and down the A286, which is one of the finest cycling roads in England.

That sounds good for me as well.What sort of route does everyone want?Easiest route without too much thinking about it, would be the traditional Brighton FNRttC route as far as Horley, then skirting north of Gatwick Airport on the back roads to Faygate, then through Horsham onto the Bognor route as far as Ford, then onto Barnham and on the back roads south of the A27, skirting south of Chichester to Wittering.

erm, can we have some of this A286 please :becool:

Adam's taken out the 'scenic' and built in some 'hills' Dave!

Ha ha.

The A286 is, as already pointed out, a lovely cycling road, with some stunning views, and I was on a bit of it only a few weeks ago. However, it would be only fair to point out the more northerly bit does have a 15% up slope to get over, as well as some other peaks at over 10%. At night time, you tend not to notice them so much but seeing as this little trip is during daylight hours, you might not appreciate the lumps so much. Plus it's a bit further west than we really need to be.

However, on the plus side, you do get to blast through a little hamlet called Cocking, so in a similar vein we could drop down past Dunsfold where Top Gear is filmed, to pick up the A286. :whistle:

Ha ha.

The A286 is, as already pointed out, a lovely cycling road, with some stunning views, and I was on a bit of it only a few weeks ago. However, it would be only fair to point out the more northerly bit does have a 15% up slope to get over, as well as some other peaks at over 10%. At night time, you tend not to notice them so much but seeing as this little trip is during daylight hours, you might not appreciate the lumps so much. Plus it's a bit further west than we really need to be.

However, on the plus side, you do get to blast through a little hamlet called Cocking, so in a similar vein we could drop down past Dunsfold where Top Gear is filmed, to pick up the A286. :whistle:

Dunsfold...Top Gear? xx( - that really would be Cocking 'up'... ;)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Ha ha.

+1. Nice bit of road, done Chi to Midhurst, from the south the lumps turned into very pleasant descents :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I should be able to get myself out of bed to reach HPC by 8 :hello:

Mark

Nice one Mark.. up for another 100 miler then?
thumbsup.png

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm telling you that the A286 southbound is about as near to heaven as a bicycle can get - oddly the northbound route is pants. The hill out of Fernhurst is so delightful that I once did it with Simon P 5 time in quick succession - and the downhill that results is just so sweet it brings tears to your eyes (although there is a vicious lefthander on the way in to Easebourne that has bought a stain to the shorts of many a cyclist).

Further north there is a rise toward Brook, and another toward Grayswood that are just gorgeous, with thrilling descents beyond.

From the summit at Cocking you can go like the wind (although, again, there is a smart righthander going in to Singleton that it is very possible to miss) and the run through Lavant is sweet. The only decision you have to make is whether to turn right north of Chichester and go across country to the Bosham Ferry, which is a laugh.

Top Bottom