Bank Holiday Ride -London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Am dead, am tired, am sore, am achey, am headachey, my solarpanel roof is sunburnt, my lips are chapped and ive not managed to get to TESCOs to get my wine gums, but i 'only' need 125 miles to get my first 1000mile month..

So to the words of a great childrens tv character, 'can i do it? Yes i can!'

I hope.. going for a quick pootle now to bring those miles down..

Get some climbing practice in!!!
whistling.gif

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Thinking of doing some practice at shooters hill...

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
(1)i might be a late addition to the ride :smile: (2)will show you how to climb davy
thumbsup.png

(1) Coooool!!

(2) Be my guest... all I know is am kicking your ass on mycyclinglog... you lazy student... :biggrin:

112miles to the 1000 now... I shall be crawling at 13mph ave tomorrow, so please be patient... :blush:

gbs

Guru
Excellent, although might be best to be there by 8.20, as we'll be steaming along if ILB comes along.
wilco BRs

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Morning peeps!

Alas and annoyingly am going to have to pull out. My legs are baked and just really hurting still. I think am just going to cause them damage. Not happy..

Sorry all, but have a great one!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
No updates yet? Everyone in a drunken stupor?? Damn you lot!

Anyhow, i hope the ride went well and am looking forward to the photos and write up. I went out earlier for a quick spin, just about managed 34 miles, so quite glad i didnt join and then henceforth be a liability.. shame still..

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Shame you couldn't make it Davy, perhaps the knees still need TLC?

That was absolutely brilliant. I was up dark and early to get the 5.32 train up from Hilsea- nearly missed it, set off only to realise I'd not got my glasses, made it onto the platform just as the train arrived. Phew! Made it to HPC before anyone else, gave me a chance to have a good look at the Arch and surroundings (well, I don't generally see it in daylight!). Never seen the corner itself so quiet...
Didn't have long to wait until first Adam & then the rest turned up. Cue usual gentle jibes about the rucksack. It was LIGHT (no bladder, only had the two bottles on the bike- might have underdone the hydration for once, the Abus lock stayed at home in favour of the not-in-any-way-secure cable freebie, food consisted of only a couple of cereal bars (forgot the gels), lights, pump, inner tubes, tyre levers and multi-tool. That was it, honest....
Anyway, first part was a little slow, on account of our one-and-only puncture, suffered by Ian. Geoffrey joined us at Putney Bridge, and the pace picked up nicely. The half-lap of Richmond Park was nice (more cyclists than drivers, massively so). On we went through Kingston, Thames Ditton, Esher and Guildford. Milford saw an entirely unprovoked and unintentionally amusing burst of horn-blowing from some idiot woman in a Renault Megane. I got a blast even though she'd already got past me & I hadn't held her up in any way. I also got a short diatribe from some bloke in a Skoda- apparently I was on the wrong side of the road or something (I think he meant 'the bit of road I'm on', another one I didn't hold up but moaned anyway!). We then joined the A286, and I think the consensus was that it didn't quite live up to Simon's praise. It was a damn good work-out though (I seem to have inadvertently added to my own workload by having underinflated tyres, but I wasn't going that slowly nonetheless!). And some of the scenery was indeed lovely. And not all of the sweeping fast descents were followed by gruelling ascents, just most of them...
We were running a bit later than Simon's rather optimistic reckoning of a 1pm finish, but as we got nearer Chichester the easier terrain saw us move a bit more quickly. We went down through Fishbourne (no, don't know that road..lol, it's a regular part of my weekend runs), skirted round Chichester itself, then down to East Wittering & arrival at the temporary Legg residence at ten to two. Simon, Susie & young Daisy were splendid hosts, and the pasta and crumble went down a treat, though they might be eating all the remaining pasta for the rest of the week. At about a quarter to three, we took our leave (after Simon spotted and sorted my tyre problem..!), and we all went up to Chichester station, no-one riding back, and in my case then on home. Took the longer way round to make sure I passed the ton for the day. Total mileage was indeed on target- 103. Thanks one and all!

NB: Loading up the route part-way into the ride (causing the first part to be automatically saved & timers etc cleared) seems to have screwed up both files for the first and second parts. Got the timings etc, but not the route. Grr.

Top Bottom