Bar Bag Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Magna

Search didn't throw up anything for 'bar bag' so am opening up this discussion.

Does anyone feel strongly about their own? Why is it good? What do you keep in there?

yello

I'm interested in hearing opinions too. I'm thinking of a bar bag for my audax bike but I have a bit of an 'image perception' problem with bar bags... in that they seem just a bit twee to me. On a more rational and practical level, I'm not sure I could fit one without fouling cables etc.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm thinking of persuading Mrs rich p to use one - it's useful for things you want to access quickly (camera, wallet maybe) but mainly so she can have the map on it.

bobg

Über Member
I love them but would recommend a quick release job even if the mounting bracket that stays on the bars can be a bit of a pain at times. I made the mistake of getting a Carradice Super C which was looked great in the pic but was enormous when fitted to the bike (although great for touring ) IMHO 4l is fine and I like the Agua.

I have a cheapo from Halfords fitted to butterfly bars. Yes it effects the steering till you get used to it but it does what I wanted it for i.e keeps maps, camera, dictaphone and odds and ends handy.

Brains

Legendary Member
Personally I find bar bags essential for touring

1 - You need a map for touring, the best place by far to keep the map is in the map case of a bar bag.

2 - All you valuables (camera, money, passport, etc) fit in the bar bag which can then be instantly removed when popping into a shop or whatever, also camera/money etc are to hand when needed

So minimum spec for a bag is:
Small as possible (5L should be OK)
Must have map case
Must have quick release system (such as R&K)
Must be at least semi waterproof (bog standard plakky bag will do if it really tips it down)
Should have as many internal and/or external pockets as possible
Should have a shoulder strap that can be shortened or folded so as not to be in the way
You need to consider lighting - as bar bag will often block your current set up (I have mounted a space bar upside down so my lights are below the bar bag)

JackE

Über Member
Bar bags

I use the Vaude Road 1, it is 3 ltr and doesn't foul the brake cables on my 105 STI's. It's not waterproof but has a neat built-in waterproof cover. Having tried bigger and smaller sizes, this is perfect for all my bits and pieces. I wouldn't be without one now.

Tynan

Veteran
I used one for a very long time, lon enough to eventually wear down the fittings, it's undeniably useful, they can hold a lot and it's all accessible all the time

but I did used to get tired of looking at it rather than the tyre/road

not using one any more

jay clock

Massive member
JackE said:
I use the Vaude Road 1, it is 3 ltr and doesn't foul the brake cables on my 105 STI's. It's not waterproof but has a neat built-in waterproof cover. Having tried bigger and smaller sizes, this is perfect for all my bits and pieces. I wouldn't be without one now.

I have one of these. As Jack said, only 3 litres, but that is plenty for wallet, camera, passport etc. However they are nigh on impossible to find (I saw mine in the Netherlands when browsing) BUT this model is identical from ECC http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...6&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003119c003125

It fits very well on my Saracen tourer (drop bars) between the cables with no bending of them at all

pic

Danny

Legendary Member
I'm another Karrimor bardale fan, though my is not as old as Bromptonaut's. Got it out again last summer after it had been the cupboard for a couple of years, and was really pleased I did. It is perfect for carrying a map, keys, snacks, phone, etc. and provided you don't put anything heavy in it should affect your steering.

Unfortunately Karrimor don't make them anymore, but the Greenpeace Ortleib bar bag looks pretty cool.

Top Bottom