Bar Bag Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I can't imagine touring without one actually. Yep they look a bit geaky but they keep to hand all the things you really want to keep an eye on - purse, passport, camera etc and if you leave it open you can access your camera really quickly.

We've got a Halfords one that's served us admirably but the husband gave me a lovely yellow Ortlieb one for my birthday. Two months on I'm still trying to figure out the fitting instructions ;) but it's waterproof which is good!!

rich p said:
I'm thinking of persuading Mrs rich p to use one - it's useful for things you want to access quickly (camera, wallet maybe) but mainly so she can have the map on it.

I thought you weren't supposed to put cameras in barbags as the vibration could damage them???

punkypossum said:
I thought you weren't supposed to put cameras in barbags as the vibration could damage them???

If you cushion them well they're OK, though I did once rattle a lens to pieces on a tour but I was poor and using a cheap camera bag strapped to handlebar bag holder with little padding in it. I learnt.

CycleTourer

Veteran
We like others have said before wouldn't be without a barbag for touring. We use them for all our valuable items so that we can quickly take them off our bikes to take with us when shopping, visiting cafes etc.

We have the Ortlieb Ultimate bags which are great as they are waterproof and came with a great waterproof map case that is held on by poppers. I have also carried an SLR camera using the special padded insert that is available for them and had no problems with the camera.

Perhaps because we have always toured with them, unlike Tony's experience, we don't seem to find they have any real detrimental effect on the steering. If you have front panniers, they seem to balance each other out so to speak.

Top Bottom