Bar end or thumb shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

Über Member
I bought a frame a while back and am just getting around to building it up. It's a bit of an oldie, 531 frame and forks. It does not have bosses for downtube shifters just cable guides in that position so I guess it had been fitted with bar end shifters. I know you can get clamp on dt shifters but I don't fancy that. Instead I am happy to try out some bar end shifters or maybe thumb shifters. I have used neither but I did use dt shifters for many years when that's all there was. I looked around and found some nice Suntour Power thumb shifters but can't imagine how they might look on drop bars or where best to position them, on the other hand bar ends look reasonably ok just not sure how nice they are to use. Just asking opinions on both before I buy something. The bike will be running a 6 speed block by the way. I don't think there are any options for index but friction levers will be fine with me.
Many thanks for any help.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Bar end levers are fine and were the norm back in the day on touring bikes

I built this Galaxy frame up using them it worked fine , these were indexed and 8 speed if i remember rightly

100_6018.jpg
100_6016.jpg
100_6017.jpg

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Thanks for the replies.
Nifty modification that, I think bar ends are the winner though. I've noticed that the Suntour ones are sometimes described as ratchet type. Are they therefore non indexed but with a ratchet type mechanism? Am I right in thinking I would be best to look for levers that are designed for fewer speeds as I will have a 6 speed block, or would levers for say 10 speed do just as well provided they are friction only?

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well...... To be a dissenter.......

Personally, while I appreciate bar end shifters are a reasonable option to some, I don't like them -why? Because if I have shifters and brakes, I want them to be close at hand, in a natural position I am usually in (certainly that explains the popularity of sti/ergo). On a road bike, I spend more time on the tops or hoods than in the drops. Add in I don't find bar ends ergonomically comfortable and the issue of knee interference, and I just think there are better options -just my opinion.

On the good side bar end shifters might be the cheapest way to go. But still, I'd be asking if they suit your riding habits.

ozboz

Guru
I have bar end levers on my Surley , I tend to hit them with my knees , and the front dera'r is friction so Is constantly in need af true-ing , bit of a pain also riding around town , always reaching to change gear

freiston

Veteran
I have an like bar-end shifters and don't have any issue with knee-strike. A friction front shifter means that you never need to suffer chain-rub - there is a danger that this will make you smug as you encounter brifter users ;).

I went through a stage recently of changing handlebars; changing from a compact bar (which was very nice re.shifter position but for me, lacking in reach and hand options above the drops) to a Modolo Gran Fondo - which was ideal above the brake levers but not so below - amongst other things, the drops were not parallel and it felt like the bar-ends were a bit too out of reach. No flare on the bars made shifting more awkward to. I settled on Velo Orange Grand Cru Course bars that have a long reach, a shortish and parallel drop and a decent flare - I believe they are similar to the Nitto Noodle. imho such a bar looks a lot classier and 'right' on a more traditional bike. The photo in my avatar still has the compact bars.
I did read (but cannot confirm) that bars with a 25.4mm clamp might not have the required internal diameter at the bar-end but that 26mm clamp bars will - maybe someone with more knowledge could comment?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies.
Nifty modification that, I think bar ends are the winner though. I've noticed that the Suntour ones are sometimes described as ratchet type. Are they therefore non indexed but with a ratchet type mechanism? Am I right in thinking I would be best to look for levers that are designed for fewer speeds as I will have a 6 speed block, or would levers for say 10 speed do just as well provided they are friction only?
Shimano bar-ends are indexed but you can switch the indexing off and they're then friction levers.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just a thought but the absence of bosses doesn't necessarily mean you can't use band-on down tube friction shifters. Does the frame have a little raised triangle on the top of down tube that the band for the shifters would snug up against? (I've never use bar-ends so can't comment on them)

KneesUp

Guru
I have them on my jack-of-all-trades bike and love them. You can change up on the cassette by just sliding your hand back a bit if you're in the drops, and pressing with your palm. The fact that you can trim the front (friction only) is brilliant. My rear is in friction mode because the hanger on my bike isn't quite straight - they do work well indexed when the bike is set up properly though - but I like friction.

I don't bang them with my knees - I do find though that sometimes they have been knocked if I've left it in a busy bike rack, or been getting it on and off the bike carier on the car - not a big problem, but always worth lifting the back wheel and giving it a spin :smile:

The other great thing about them is that they are basically indestructible.

Top Bottom