Bar tape, how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm going to try out some Nitto moustache bars on my tourer, and need to tape them. Will they use the same amount of tape as drops? They are 14" (36cm) from stem to end. And 23.9mm diameter.

PpPete

Legendary Member
You might have a bit left over...
My Nitto Raundonneurs(sic) have 43 cm of taped length. It was slightly more but I re-wound it with more overlap on each turn to give more space for bar-bag mounting, lights, computer, GPS next to the stem.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Chuffy said:
Quite a bit less than normal bars I'd say, depending how far into the middle you want to go. Just out of interest, are you running those with STIs or bar ends?

Initially, it'll be downtube shifters. I want to make sure the bars suit me, I've not used them before. If they do, I'd hoped to use twist shifters, but it seems the bars are too wide. Bar end would be my next choice, I think, if they fit.

If they don't suit, I'm going to try butterfly bars.

I don't mind having tape left over, I may want to add some padding underneath, so extra would cope with that. I'll get sheap to start with, then if they work out, find something nice. I fancy leather to match my Brooks saddle.

Thanks for the help all!

Arch said:
I don't mind having tape left over, I may want to add some padding underneath, so extra would cope with that. I'll get sheap to start with, then if they work out, find something nice. I fancy leather to match my Brooks saddle.

Thanks for the help all!
Profligate Jezebel! :blush:

I can heartily recommend the Cinelli Gel. It's easy to re-wrap if you make mistakes as it has a 'tacky' strip rather than normal adhesive.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have some 'dusky orange' bar tape that needs a new home if it's any good to you :blush: Could bring it along on the 25th

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Soltydog said:
I have some 'dusky orange' bar tape that needs a new home if it's any good to you :blush: Could bring it along on the 25th

I'm hoping to need it before then, unless you all want to wait around while I tape the bars! Thanks anyway. How 'dusky' is it? If I don't get proper leather tape, I'd like something that tones with the honey saddle....

Oh, stand by everyone for a barrage of idiot questions, I have all the bits to fit now. That's next week's evenings sorted.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Dayvo said:
Just for you, although I don't think it matters if you start from the middle.

thanks dayvo. i've come to the conclusion that for moustache bars, you need to start in the middle - as your hands are most of the time on the outer part of the bars and pushing forward, so the tape needs to overlap as it would if you started from the middle. the other way would mean hand pressure would be peeling it off

jimboalee

Crankarm said:
+1 for Cinelli Gel bar tape. It really is the business very comfortable and easy to fit. It's cheaper at CRC though £12.99 rather than £15+ from Wiggle.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25854

That's the stuff.

Buy a pack of cheaper 'cork effect' ribbon as well.

Wrap the bars with the cheap stuff only where you commonly hold. If you have 'double sided tape', wrap over with this before applying the 'finishing' ribbon.
If you haven't got 'double sided tape', a smear of UHU will do.

PS Handlebar tape is called 'Ribbon'.

Top Bottom