bar tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cuberider

Über Member
Forgive my noob question, but my bars are looking in a sorry state and wondered how easy a job this is.

Is it easier just to pay my LBS to do it or should I persevere?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Check out You Tube, there are a ton of 'how to' videos.
It's easier job then you think. Just have to take your time when doing it. Tape can be unwrapped and re-wrapped until you get it right.

PpPete

Legendary Member
For the first one I'd avoid bi-coloured tape. I've wrapped & re-wrapped a good few dozen bars but this was hard very time consuming to get looking anything like right:
tape_zps9890e257.jpg

On YouTube look for 2 videos called:

Learning Centre | How to wrap bars part 1

And the same but part 2.

I love these 2 vids and still refer to them despite wrapping bars many times.

I've got new tape waiting to go on the CAAD but I can't motivate myself to do it! I might do it next weekend.

Last edited:

Stephen C

Über Member
I did it for the first time over the weekend, as mentioned before, watch a couple of videos and give it a go. My first attempt wasn't perfect, but it'll do the job and I know what I need to do next time to get it better!

OP
OP
C

cuberider

Über Member
Thanks for the replies, I will check out the links :thumbsup:

Licramite

Über Member
I did my bike - see picture left - and If I can do it - anyone can do it.
you can get padded tubes that fit over your bars to go under your tape for an extra bit of shock absorbstion.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i was aprehensive the first time i considered it. once i had started i didnt know what i was worried about! i had Deda Carbon look tape, less cushioning than the foam tape on there before but looks much much sweeter.

the worst bit was the rubbish tape they supplied for the end of the bar tape, im sticking some much nicer Black electrical tape on there as the tape supplied feels brittle and non sticky.

ayceejay

Guru
For me an unnecessarily tricky part is the start where most (including the young lady above) show leaving half of the first turn of tape to tuck in with the bar end. You can make a neat finish if you start directly at the end and if the bar stop is loose you can put another piece of electrical tape on it and then it will it.

Top Bottom