Bar wrapping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I wish to wrap my bars, I have shimano sora rubber covers over the top part. How do you dissemble prior to wrapping & whats the best way to wrap?

:bicycle:

Its tricky dickey if its your first go !
have a look on you tube ... sure you will get some tips on there !

Octet

Veteran
As Ianrauk has mentioned, Youtube is your friend when it comes to tutorial videos.

In short, remove the original handlebar tape and pull back the rubber covers. You should find you can just pull them over the front of the shifters (no need to take them off, just enough so you can wrap some tape over them).

In your pack of tape, you should find two small strips of tape, two rolls of tape, two end caps and if you're lucky some tape to secure it afterwards.
Take the two small pieces of tape and fold them under each of the shifters.
When it comes to the rolls, some prefer to start at the bottom, others the top. Personally I go from the bottom end of the bars, slowly and carefully ravel it around up until you come to the shifters, here you shall want to go over the top (the bottom has the smaller pieces of tape on, no need to do it fully as some of it shall be covered by the rubbers). Continue wrapping as normally and either use the entire roll or cut it if it's too long. Secure it with the tape and fold the rubber back over.

Important things to remember, make sure you keep it tight, and try and keep the spacing even between turns. Don't be afraid to start again if you find you haven't got enough tape, just unravel it and make your spacing a bit further apart.

Good luck!
(And it might take a couple of times to get it perfect, it'll come naturally after that)

yello

Take your time, particularly around the shifters. It's not that difficult but take it slowly to make sure you get best results.

Personally, I need to make sure the front (wheel, forks) is secured to stop the bars moving whilst I'm wrapping. That isn't always mentioned in descriptions of the task.

PhunkyPhil

Regular
Just take your time, I found a couple of vids on web and took the plunge and now replace my white tape quite frequently.

I use the Specialized tape and it comes with a sticky bit for round the shifters which makes it a lot easier as some videos used a wrapping method which I couldn't get to work when I tried.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
How many do the fig of 8 instead of using a bit of separate tape? I think Fiz'ik is harder to do than most others.

jim55

Guru
what I would add is every few wraps grip the bar with newly applied tape (and with clean hands )twist the tape uve just applied to wrap it tighter (turn in direction of application obv)
edit-I don't take the paper cover off covering the adhesive bit mostly (just at beginning and end to hold it in place )so its not fully stuck for every turn ,but its not hard ,just take ur time

Fifelad

Veteran
Ive just done mine on my "good" summer bike after a practice replacing tape on my winter bike. I must of done it about 3 times before I was happy, infuriating but very satisfying when you get it right. Put the bike in a turbo trainer if you can so the bars dont move about and take your time no rush. I have OCD mind you as I have more tape on one side of the flats and no more to play with so Im going to start again and make my spacing a bit further apart, others wouldnt care ! :rolleyes: good luck ! I used Fizik performance and the pack didnt contain a separate strip for behind the brake calipers so I just cut a bit off and secured wit sellotabe doubled over.

lozcs

Guru
If I can do it, anyone can!

Done it twice now followed YouTube video the first time - easy peasy and very satisfying results with new white tape.

Top Bottom