Bar wrapping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I don't bother with the figure of 8 or the bits of tape - they're just cosmetic - black tape on black bars anyway.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The next question is do you start at the end or the middle of the bars? I suspect this could be the subject of a whole new thread.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
End. That way I can wrap over and maintain tension, then I only have to twine near the engraving on the tops. Also makes for less tape sliding, although I prefer leather bar tape. Students pitch out the old leather couch at the end of their college careers. I get the leather from there, clean it, and cut it into bar-tape sized strips.

ayceejay

Guru
I tried something new. I have found in the past that taping over tape is easier than on bare bars so I taped the bars first with a Kevlar tape that wood carvers use to protect their fingers, and then the Fizik on top of that. It may be the placebo demon again but it feels really jar free :sun:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Students pitch out the old leather couch at the end of their college careers. I get the leather from there, clean it, and cut it into bar-tape sized strips.

This has to be the ulimate in recycling (excuse the pun). Something we are very much into in Europe, didn't know it had taken hold over there too.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
This has to be the ulimate in recycling (excuse the pun). Something we are very much into in Europe, didn't know it had taken hold over there too.
In some places, it has quite definitely. Our city has garbage trucks for regular refuse, and another that collects recyclables from a separate container, then it is taken to a recycling center and sorted. In the Midwest, we seem to have a philosophy of use it up, wear it out, and then sell it off to someone else. On our local Craigslist, I keep seeing an advertisement for a Schwinn that was quite rusty, because the farmer only found it when he demolished a corn crib. Someone will buy it, eventually.

beeblemaster

Über Member
I always thought this was quite a daunting job, probably because despite my dad and bro being mechanics, I'm a total eejit. But anyway, followed YouTube and tackled it myself and it was a doddle!

A simple job like this gives you confidence to go onto other things. Since then, have successfully reset the gearing, replaced a brifter, replaced a rear mech, replaced headset bearings, replaced hub bearings, replaced a chainring, ...........:thumbsup:

Top Bottom