Bargain or... just wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dansenior

it looks like theyve been designed to make the most money out of possibly having a lot of older subway alu frames, and making it into something with a bit of hipster cool.
But from what I can remember the subway frame, which i had one of the subway 2's was a heavy frame, for £200 though, theres not a lot to be argued about.
Agree about the size of the forks, why put steel forks on an alloy frame, whats all that about?, i dont get it.
Im guessing here, but think that the parts that theyve used look a little suspect for longevity, as theres more force on the chainset, chain, bottom bracket and other parts with a fixed gear, this is kinda crucial.

dansenior

24lbs weight total, thats quite a bit for a fixed gear to have to lug around, going up hills, may be quite interesting, thats almost as much as my dawes galaxy!!!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
dansenior said:
it looks like theyve been designed to make the most money out of possibly having a lot of older subway alu frames, and making it into something with a bit of hipster cool.
But from what I can remember the subway frame, which i had one of the subway 2's was a heavy frame, for £200 though, theres not a lot to be argued about.
Agree about the size of the forks, why put steel forks on an alloy frame, whats all that about?, i dont get it.
Im guessing here, but think that the parts that theyve used look a little suspect for longevity, as theres more force on the chainset, chain, bottom bracket and other parts with a fixed gear, this is kinda crucial.

i have what was a carrera virtuoso and that came with aluminium forks. they didn't half put a lot of vibration through the bars, and the bike was a lot better when i put carbon forks on. i reckon that steel is preferable to aluminium in this regard, which is why they went for that at that price point.

it does look a bit odd though, it's true. for £200 you could get an old steel frame and convert it to fixed, which is much nicer.

oh, and it's got vertical dropouts, so you'd need a chain tensioner if the supplied gear ratio needed changing, or a new chain and chain ring.

RedBike

It looks like it's got track dropouts to me.

I'm wondering if I could squeeze a set of 35mm nobbly tyres in there and turn that into my new cyclo-x bike? - Was looking at a Pompino but this is about half the price.

Top Bottom