Base for panniers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm mostly a commuter, but I thought you tourists will be better placed to answer this.

I recently replaced my cheap canvas panniers with some Vaude waterpoof ones.

The canvas panniers were in very good condition - aside the bottoms. They kept tearing at the base, and I repaired them a few times with a bit of needlework.

Although the Vaude material feels pretty robust, is it worth creating my own base, say from a sheet of plastic, to act as barrier between the contents and the bottom of the bags?

Does anybody else do this or am I just being over-cautious?

Anything you can do to give them extra-life is a good thing. I have solid bike hut ones. And then i have some canvas ones as you described and i use them mostly. On a tour recently some clothes did get damp and i had stored them in bags too!!! But the rain was torrential and didn't stop for hours :cry:. So i am looking to do something similar. Am sure you will get some top tips on here and i be watching too :cheers:

Brains

Legendary Member
A base can be made using cut up plastic milk cartons.

The problem tens to only arrise if you are taking the same heavy/sharp objects day after day (such as a laptop)

I saw a tip somewhere once - though more for extra waterproofing than strengthening as such - which used supermarket "bags for life" - when you've used them too much/had too much touring, you of course just take them back to the supermarket for a free replacement.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you are just trying to stop sharp objects attacking the bottom of the bags, then an Ice- cream tub or some bits of corrugated cardboard should work :smile:

Top Bottom