Basic tools for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Because Allen bolts are better, more ubiquitous, and easier to use, or just because you are required to use the proper wrench for the job, instead of rounding off the corners of the hardware with an adjustable wrench?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
And are less likely to have a tool come in contact with paintwork.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Because Allen bolts are better, more ubiquitous, and easier to use, or just because you are required to use the proper wrench for the job, instead of rounding off the corners of the hardware with an adjustable wrench?
By what measure are allen bolts "better" or "easier to use"? Assertion doesn't make it so.

Bad workmen blame their tools: used correctly (pushing on the near end of the adjustable jaw) or even incorrectly, any half-decent adjustable wrench is far less prone to rounding off corners of hex heads than most allen keys on those heads because the forces are spread over a longer flat face and it can be adjusted to deal with oversize or undersize heads better than an allen key can adjust to slightly out-of-spec holes. And I'm sure we've all seen someone ping an allen wrench across the floor (mangling the head a little more as it goes) because they hadn't got it inserted properly, but how often do you ever see an ordinary wrench do that?

And "required to use the proper wrench for the job" suggests you've never seen anyone jam a torx bit in or try to use a pin socket on an allen head! ;)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
By what measure are allen bolts "better" or "easier to use"? Assertion doesn't make it so.

Bad workmen blame their tools: used correctly (pushing on the near end of the adjustable jaw) or even incorrectly, any half-decent adjustable wrench is far less prone to rounding off corners of hex heads than most allen keys on those heads because the forces are spread over a longer flat face and it can be adjusted to deal with oversize or undersize heads better than an allen key can adjust to slightly out-of-spec holes. And I'm sure we've all seen someone ping an allen wrench across the floor (mangling the head a little more as it goes) because they hadn't got it inserted properly, but how often do you ever see an ordinary wrench do that?

And "required to use the proper wrench for the job" suggests you've never seen anyone jam a torx bit in or try to use a pin socket on an allen head! ;)
Because an adjustable wrench always has play in the working surfaces ,a bodger's delight if I ever saw one. The use of Allen wrenches in inappropriate fashion pales in comparison to the number of times I have seen the adjustable misused. And assertion aside, hex heads are harder to use in many situations, water bottle cages spring to mind. Speaking of assertion, much of this obviously has to do with convenience and personal preference, I would say.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Because an adjustable wrench always has play in the working surfaces
Are we talking about the same thing? One of these:
260px-Adjustable_wrench.svg.png

I can see how the adjustable jaw might have a little play when the adjuster gets worn, but you wrote "surfaces" and what other surface might possibly have play in it? The other surface is one piece with the handle.

And assertion aside, hex heads are harder to use in many situations, water bottle cages spring to mind.
Well, you can't use an adjustable on them, but my long socket (which I'm carrying for other reason) does them fine and the hex head is usually a lower profile than an allen bolt's mushroom head, so it lets you use fancy cage types where otherwise the mushroom head scratches the bottle.

Speaking of assertion, much of this obviously has to do with convenience and personal preference, I would say.
Well, if you prefer allen heads, they're your bikes and all power to you, but there's little justification for telling people to modify perfectly good vintage bikes by swapping their hex heads for the nasty little things.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The adustable wrench has two surfaces for either side of the hex bolts. As for messing up the vintage nature of a bicycle, Allen hardware has been around since 1910. My justifications are stated above. Although in allserall seriousness I would say that hex hardware is probably just as good, in many cases.

Because an adjustable wrench always has play in the working surfaces ,a bodger's delight if I ever saw one. The use of Allen wrenches in inappropriate fashion pales in comparison to the number of times I have seen the adjustable misused. And assertion aside, hex heads are harder to use in many situations, water bottle cages spring to mind. Speaking of assertion, much of this obviously has to do with convenience and personal preference, I would say.
Yes you have to pay a lot of money for an adjustable with minimal wobble. Most are terrible.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Re: allen bolts vs normal bolts. For what it's worth typical allen screws (12.9) are stronger than common or garden good quality normal screws (10.8). This isn't per se a specific feature of allen bolts but "typically" they are better bolts. A mate of mine very much into motorsport tended to replace anything important on his racing car with allen screws of the higher spec. Ergo avoiding allen screws because you percieve them as weaker is misguided (unless for some unlikley reason they happen to be lower grade)

I replaced all the hexagon (ie normal spanner hed) screws on my bike, and the horrid made-of-cheese cross head screws with the corresponding allen screws to simplify my tool need. The only spanner fittings reamainig are my wheel nuts

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Re: allen bolts vs normal bolts. For what it's worth typical allen screws (12.9) are stronger than common or garden good quality normal screws (10.8). This isn't per se a specific feature of allen bolts but "typically" they are better bolts. A mate of mine very much into motorsport tended to replace anything important on his racing car with allen screws of the higher spec. Ergo avoiding allen screws because you percieve them as weaker is misguided (unless for some unlikley reason they happen to be lower grade)

I replaced all the hexagon (ie normal spanner hed) screws on my bike, and the horrid made-of-cheese cross head screws with the corresponding allen screws to simplify my tool need. The only spanner fittings reamainig are my wheel nuts

Good quality allen keys are a must too, just because they have a plastic 'T' handle doesn't make them a good quality tool. I'd also advocate binning them when worn unless you have access to a decent bench grinder to remove the worn section.

Yes, and how can the surface thatˋs part of the handle develop "play"?

er. well I think you need two bits.

The play is between the two.

I very rarely have need of an adjustable anyway.

In fact the only one I really use is for holding BB removers and cassette removers. That's a Bahco - very good but not cheap.

classic33

Leg End Member
One reason I don't use them on anything that has already been tightened. Preferring the correct sized spanner, anyday. Three sizes, 17mm, 15mm & 10mm, fit 80% of the bolts on the bike.

Two allen keys, 5 & 6mm do the rest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom