Basic tools for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I realise that there's probably another thread for this, and that it's pretty much a "How long is a piece of string?" question, but I'm wondering what other people would consider 'basic' tools for a tour.

If our planned tour to Japan goes ahead, we'll be using the same reconditioned 90's era steel MTB's that we usually do. They are due for new tyres and we'll probably use Schwalbe Marathon Plus as I've been using those for years and not had any problems that were not self inflicted. Apart from this I'd carry pretty much the same as I do now:

Spanners for removing wheels/pedals.
Several hex keys because one set can't get at everything on the bike:
'L' shaped Hex key set
Three way hex key set 4/5/6mm
'T' Hex key 5mm
Crosshead screwdrivers

Pump
Puncture repair kit/tyre levers

Spares:
Cables
V-Brake blocks

What would you add?

Last edited:
Wet wipes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
IMHO one of these is essential. Includes a chain breaker. This is from Crank Bros.

1269860274764-f9968vhue9vp-630-80.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Spare spokes.

One of the Dawes Galaxy touring bikes comes with a couple of spokes clipped to the chainstay.

Alternatively, I believe you can get a universal spare spoke in the shape of a flexible wire you can fit and tension.

No idea how well they work.

How often have chains been known to break? I've only had it happen once and that was because I installed it badly, so it exploded all over the road a couple of K's from my apartment.

only thing I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is a tyre boot or two.

Is a "Tyre boot" like a tyre lever? And am I the only person who has three which are all different designs?

alicat

Legendary Member
A tyre boot is something that you can put inside the tyre to stop a bulge getting bigger until you can replace the tyre. I use cloth from an old airbed. No idea if that is strong enough.

Edit - apparently and perhaps obviously, it's to repair a small cut until you can replace the tyre.

Here is Park Tools' offering. I still favour finding something homemade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom