Basic tools for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What are those called?
A multi tool.

How often have chains been known to break? I've only had it happen once and that was because I installed it badly, so it exploded all over the road a couple of K's from my apartment.

Most times I’ve needed the chain breaker / multi tool, it’s been down to a Pringled link, which is all too easy to do, if you make a hash of a down / up shift ( on the chain rings in particular).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Missing from some lists:
4" 15mm adjustable spanner.
Quick links.

I don't carry a flick knife multi tool, but instead a ¼" square drive T bar with long 10mm (brakes), 12mm (pedals), 14mm (cranks) and hex bit ¼" sockets, screwdriver and Allen key hex bits.

I sometimes carry a 6" adjustable instead on group tours because not everyone's nuts will move with a shorter shaft, but it's over twice the weight IIRC.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
How often have chains been known to break? I've only had it happen once and that was because I installed it badly, so it exploded all over the road a couple of K's from my apartment.

Twice on my tourer. Once on the cargo bike. Went at the pins and once at the Quick Link. QL saved the day in both cases.

Is a "Tyre boot" like a tyre lever? And am I the only person who has three which are all different designs?

Toothpaste tube plastic is fantastic.

A multi tool.

I have a Lezyne one with a knife. Brilliant. Best I have had. Chainsplitter too.

What are you, some sort of serial killer?

Are you asking for a friend? Please DM me if you have any work for me. Everyone is so damn happy in December, things drop off. Gets busy again in January.

Missing from some lists:
4" 15mm adjustable spanner.
Quick links.

I don't carry a flick knife multi tool, but instead a ¼" square drive T bar with long 10mm (brakes), 12mm (pedals), 14mm (cranks) and hex bit ¼" sockets, screwdriver and Allen key hex bits.

I sometimes carry a 6" adjustable instead on group tours because not everyone's nuts will move with a shorter shaft, but it's over twice the weight IIRC.

I have to be careful in Japan because I know they have very strict rules about knife blades. Gerrmany is more pragmatic, and if you have a reasonable reason to carry something dangerous then you can.

Before someone asks, that does include chainsaws.

One question though.:

Missing from some lists:
a ¼" square drive T bar with long 10mm (brakes), 12mm (pedals), 14mm (cranks) and hex bit ¼" sockets, screwdriver and Allen key hex bits.

As I've been in furrin parts for a very long time, humour me: what is this? I sortof get the picture, but I did a lot of my learning here so my tools vocabulary is in German.

mjr

As I've been in furrin parts for a very long time, humour me: what is this? I sortof get the picture, but I did a lot of my learning here so my tools vocabulary is in German.
I moved the camera too soon, so apologies for the blurry tilted picture:
biketools.jpg

From left to right, top to bottom: screwdriver and Allen hex bits, hex bit socket (holding small straight screwdriver bit), 14mm socket; 12mm socket, ¼" square driver T bar, 10mm long socket.

The main reason for the long socket is to reach past the mudguard stays to the chain tug adjuster nuts on my most-used bike. It is possible to use the adjustable for that but it's much more awkward, so I suck up the 25g weight penalty over a short socket ;) The 10mm socket and the adjustable set to 10mm are used together to release/adjust some brake arms.

Last edited:
Love the fact that you're planning this on old MTBs! ^_^

This applies from another thread - it covers just about everything....
If your bike is well-maintained and you are on top of the maintenance (for example, could you tell me now, without checking, how worn the chain, tyres and brakes are?) you don't need to carry anything other than puncture repair kit, a couple of inner tubes, chain lube, a small multi-tool for minor repairs, plus any of those wear items, which you estimate are going to wear out during the trip. If they are commonly available you don't even need to carry them as you can just buy them and fit them as needed.

If all this is meaningless to you, you'd better be prepared for some breakdowns along the way and carry cash and a credit card to pay shop mechanics.

I'd add that you need to ensure you have what you need to re-assemble the bike after the flight (and indeed to disassemble for your return). I'd strongly suggest you set out your tools and go through the full process.

As for a pump, make sure that it can pump to your desired pressures. Nothing worse than a pump that will not get you to the desired pressure.

Use a bolt fastening glue on racks etc, or prepare to check these every couple of days, especially if you've any rough stuff to travel over.

Check also your panniers are in good nick as any camping gear you may be bringing.

I always carry spare brake pads and cables. The trip stops dead if brakes fail in the wrong place and a snapped gear cable with a big mountain between you and the next bike shop can mean a long walk.
From my own experience, I always carry a spare saddle pin (holds the saddle in place) after one broke on me in Italy. Spare ones are very hard to find!

If there is any upgrading to be done on the bikes before the tour, look to harmonise the parts if possible - it means less spares required between the 2 of you.

In any case, sitting down at the planning stage and thinking of all the things that can go wrong or break is always far worse than the reality - things will work out! (Well, maybe not if you're travelling across deserts and the like^_^).

mjr

I always carry spare brake pads and cables. The trip stops dead if brakes fail in the wrong place and a snapped gear cable with a big mountain between you and the next bike shop can mean a long walk.
From my own experience, I always carry a spare saddle pin (holds the saddle in place) after one broke on me in Italy. Spare ones are very hard to find!
I think you have to set a limit somewhere, though, and you've just gone beyond mine! I carry spare cables on longer tours as they're small, but I satisfy myself by replacing pads if needed before I leave, so that they've still got enough life in them. If they still wear out, I should spot it early enough to find some because they're not so unusual - except on the hub brakes but they're very unlikely to wear out that fast... cook the hub grease maybe :laugh: but not wear out pads.

Similarly, I'd only carry a spare seat pin if it's unusual. Otherwise, worst case, I can probably replace it and the clamp with a modern integrated-clamp seatpost if either fail because the diameter is the common 27.2mm.

Related to the excellent "make sure that it can pump to your desired pressures" advice - make sure that any drivers and spanners in your touring toolkit can actually undo the things on your bike. What moves easily in the shed with a long hex key might seem stuck tight with a short flexi-jointed multi-tool.

Top Bottom