Basic tools for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I manage on the single speed OK.

Besides you've get 3 x 1 speed with a triple

That’s 3 ( relatively) very big jumps in gearing, not fun if you’re in a bunch. And we’re not talking about single speed bikes, we’re talking bodged up derailleur geared bikes.

This is all getting rather silly, just carry a spare bike and you're ready for anything!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That’s 3 ( relatively) very big jumps in gearing, not fun if you’re in a bunch. And we’re not talking about single speed bikes, we’re talking bodged up derailleur geared bikes.
Sure, but this is about touring and I've rarely seen people tour in tight formation.

I don't carry cable cutters. I loop up the cable, tie it and deal with it later.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully

I mentioned single speed because, if I can manage to select an optimum gear ratio for my ride ahead with that, then I am sure I will (and have) manage to select an optimum gear with a mech bodge.

Not sure about bunching. I tend to wear baggy shorts

andrew_s

Legendary Member
In my experience limit screws won't help you select another gear. Even with the high limit screw all the way in you'll be lucky if you shift a derailleur more than one gear inboard. That's what I've found anyway.
That's what I've found too.
I've since read that the cool thing to do (I've never done it) is to take your broken cable and secure it at one of the cable stops on the frame, maybe by putting the nipple against the stop on the chainstay, feed it through the mech as normal, physically shove the mech inboard and tighten it up. This will give you a useful lower single speed. But as I said, I've never done it. I can imagine that with a frayed cable end it could be ... challenging.
What I've done, as a "get home" fix, is to push the parallelogram across and drop a small pebble into it to hold it open when you let go.

8mph

Veteran
Cable, spanner, bent nose pliers, cable ties, nuts, bolts, washers, inner tube, a patch of inner tube, tiny sewing kit, gaffer tape, knife, multi-tool, chain breaker, repair kit, tyre levers, toothbrush, lube, pump, a couple of old brake pads, a shoelace a couple of bungees ......... there's probably more!

classic33

Leg End Member
Cable, spanner, bent nose pliers, cable ties, nuts, bolts, washers, inner tube, a patch of inner tube, tiny sewing kit, gaffer tape, knife, multi-tool, chain breaker, repair kit, tyre levers, toothbrush, lube, pump, a couple of old brake pads, a shoelace a couple of bungees ......... there's probably more!
If you take a sewing kit, forget about using everyday threads, go for something stronger.

Dental gloss (and a needle) for repairs to tyre sidewalls, Allen key nest including 8mm Allen key adaptor, puncture kit, levers, mini chain tool, zip ties, spare nuts and bolts, spoke key, cassette breaker, presta/schrader valve adaptor, Swiss army knife, shovel/axe compass, gaffer tape, toe straps, chain lube, oily rag.

For some reason this thread stopped sending notifications around mid-afternoon yesterday so I'm catching up. It looks like some of my instincts were correct, but I suspect I'm in danger of over preparing because I'll be in Japan and I don't know how Japan 'works' in the same way as Germany. Thanks for all the ideas -and entertainment- so far. I'll read through the thread more carefully when I have time (ie: When the Chief is somewhere else)

Spare spokes.

This is another issue I've never had, despite having a pretty heavily loaded Xtracycle at times. What causes a broken spoke?

I've also been fairly cautious about using a spoke key without some kind of tool to tell me what is happening in the wheel when I turn it. How do you tighten spokes without turing the wheel into a Pretzel?

credit card
nothing else.

You're assuming I have money...

In rural Japan (and to some extent rural Germany) credit cards are often not accepted, Japan is especially difficult as they really don't like anything bar Visa and American Express and we have a European Maestro, so I'll have to carry a 'float'.

Toothpaste tube plastic is fantastic.

Sounds like there's an interesting story behind this discovery.

I have a Lezyne one with a knife. Brilliant. Best I have had. Chainsplitter too.

I'll look for that, thanks.

Love the fact that you're planning this on old MTBs! ^_^

They're what we use every day, so I figured why change what works? I find that the steel frames and smaller wheels are pretty solid for regular riding in poor conditions.

They are getting some modifications though...

I'd add that you need to ensure you have what you need to re-assemble the bike after the flight (and indeed to disassemble for your return). I'd strongly suggest you set out your tools and go through the full process.

As for a pump, make sure that it can pump to your desired pressures. Nothing worse than a pump that will not get you to the desired pressure....

...Check also your panniers are in good nick as any camping gear you may be bringing.

I always carry spare brake pads and cables. The trip stops dead if brakes fail in the wrong place and a snapped gear cable with a big mountain between you and the next bike shop can mean a long walk.
From my own experience, I always carry a spare saddle pin (holds the saddle in place) after one broke on me in Italy. Spare ones are very hard to find!

If there is any upgrading to be done on the bikes before the tour, look to harmonise the parts if possible - it means less spares required between the 2 of you.

In any case, sitting down at the planning stage and thinking of all the things that can go wrong or break is always far worse than the reality - things will work out! (Well, maybe not if you're travelling across deserts and the like^_^).

Dismantling and reassembling will be part of the plan: something will go wrong at some point and require improvisation, I just want to be sure it's something I can improvise, especially as we'll be riding from the ferry port so we'll have to build the bikes there and then or walk 40k

As to pumps, tell me about it: as a child our family pump was terrible and I spent many years riding on saggy tyres.

Thanks for the remioder that I need to get Panniers: Xtracycles don't use them...

I'm a great believer in Murphy's Law and plan accordingly ^_^

That's my basic principle as well...

I've got a set of small 'mole' grips with tools inside similar to these,

View attachment 441637

Oooo. Nice. May fall foul of Japanese knife regulatuions though, and what is the knife for, cutting fresh meat? How would you sharpen the blade?

Basic tool for touring........a rohloff hub

If only...

That's a good starter... I generally carry some good chord when riding, the one that lives in the Bakfiets is rated for 500kg. Possibly overkill there, but still. I'll make sure I have several lengths of thin 25-50kg chord when touring.

Slightly off topic but what is a good cable cutter, for inner or outer cables?

Last edited:
Top Bottom