Basic tools for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
Thank you for your very comprehensive answer.
I don't get too many flats when touring, but they usually occur when I've gone off road to find somewhere nice to pitch up, and I've encountered some bramble patches.

Those mountain cats sound scarey, I'd not heard so much about them, even from folks who back pack in The States, and have to be careful of bears.
That's good, for me cos I'm always looking enviously at the touring / hiking over The Pond, but am unlikely to be making it there any time soon.

So if you could supply a few more horror stories, then that would be really helpful with my aversion therapy!!

Yes clean hands for puncture repairs - definitely, and out of the wind helps too.

Keep the patches and the tube from getting wet is very important too.

Bears are starting to migrate further south, and their population is booming as are the wolves, not sure about the mountain lion issue; but when I lived in California it was the mountain lion attacks I heard about, not the bear. I rode all over the mountains in Southern California and only once heard a growl, but didn't see what growled, but cats are very stealthy and very difficult to see. The woman I spoke of that used her bike as a shield lived in the same town and rode the same areas I did. In the town where I lived there was a couple of cyclists in the 7 years I was there that were killed by cats. I would probably place the rarity of a cat attacking a person about the same level has a shark attacking someone swimming or surfing in the ocean, it doesn't happen a lot but it does happen.

Keep the patches and the tube from getting wet is very important too.

Bears are starting to migrate further south, and their population is booming as are the wolves, not sure about the mountain lion issue; but when I lived in California it was the mountain lion attacks I heard about, not the bear. I rode all over the mountains in Southern California and only once heard a growl, but didn't see what growled, but cats are very stealthy and very difficult to see. The woman I spoke of that used her bike as a shield lived in the same town and rode the same areas I did. In the town where I lived there was a couple of cyclists in the 7 years I was there that were killed by cats. I would probably place the rarity of a cat attacking a person about the same level has a shark attacking someone swimming or surfing in the ocean, it doesn't happen a lot but it does happen.

We are getting wolves back in this region of Germany. They can swim from France but the Autobahn is killing a lot of them. There's apparently one male lynx nearby looking for love. He'll have to keep looking because the nearest female is in Switzerland.

froze

Über Member
We are getting wolves back in this region of Germany. They can swim from France but the Autobahn is killing a lot of them. There's apparently one male lynx nearby looking for love. He'll have to keep looking because the nearest female is in Switzerland.

If there is a male around there has to be a female around otherwise how did the male get born? A lot of animals stay really well hidden from human eyes, there have been several cases of a few extinct animals being discovered alive. No I can all but guarantee there is a female lynx around just no one has seen her; how many are around is the question, but there is at least one and probably several, and if not then that male is going to die single and there will be no more lynx sightings in Germany.

If there is a male around there has to be a female around otherwise how did the male get born? A lot of animals stay really well hidden from human eyes, there have been several cases of a few extinct animals being discovered alive. No I can all but guarantee there is a female lynx around just no one has seen her; how many are around is the question, but there is at least one and probably several, and if not then that male is going to die single and there will be no more lynx sightings in Germany.

We're getting a lot of inward migration because large predators are being encouraged by provision of corridors so they can find new territory in Germany, so they wander from places like France and the Czech republic.

Why no-one has made a 'corridor' over the Autobahn running along the Rhine I don't know: it'd save a lot of wolves.

Or possibly there is one, but all the signs are in German so the French wolves miss it. That sounds more feasible.

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
I did read here someone took dental floss and a sewing needle...I like that idea and I'll be carrying that too from now on.
Whenever I go away for a few days, whether it's on the bike or whatever, I usually pack a small pouch with a few handy things in it including a small sewing kit, 1.5mm dyneema cord, duct tape (wrapped around an old plastic membership card), a couple of mcgizmo clips and a lighter. The cord and mcgizmo clips have come in handy more than once to fashion a washing line in a hotel bathroom.

Ice2911

Über Member
Not done any touring but plenty of walking and day's out in out the way placers. I never go without a my good old Swiss Army knife. Save me a few times inc on holiday. Can't help think it would be handy when touring.
I did come access this the other day looked a handy thing to have too. https://full-windsor.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/the-muncher-titanium-multi-utensil
They do a few other nice looking stuff too.
Me too very handy the bottle opener tool. Essential when I tour. :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I agree, now that mountain lions/panthers have moved into Illinois, though I fear the encounters with human predators more, but when cycling I tend to adopt a grey man approach.

Go on then, tell us about the 'Grey man' approach..
Or is this just the benefits of becoming middle aged and largely invisible??

I have to admit I quite enjoy that.

You can slip under the radar far more easily:smile:

rollingthru

My wife and I seen a large cougar cross our path in Idaho. (Pacific Northwest).
I didn’t have a gun with me and was wishing I did. I thought about taking one for our cross country tour, but after reading a lot about it, decided against it. I can see reasons on both sides of this equation. To be honest though, I was more concerned about bad people as opposed to bad bears and such. Unfortunately we have a few of those in the good ole USA.

rollingthru

I've read a lot of websites and books on the subject of touring before I went and bought gear and went touring, they all have their own way to do things, most are pretty similar, just as here our lists are similar, but there are some differences, and some pack guns and some don't, just depends on how you feel about things. If I was in Europe, from what I've read here, wild life is not as threatening as it can be here in the US or Canada, now not everyone tours with a gun of course but most of those people are touring in a large group where having a gun is not allowed and animals tend to shy away from large groups of humans. But touring alone presents some challenges that while rare could occur. It's like this, I use Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard tires with a tire liner, I doubt I will get a flat with that setup, or at least it would be really rare, so why bother carrying a pump, patches, spare tire, and extra tubes? Of course carrying a gun isn't for everyone and in fact with some people I would recommend them not to because they may create more problems than they solve; and some people just have an aversion to guns; and of course some countries you can't have one on you.

But I've been trained in the military to use guns against people, I've hunted since I was 8 years old! Yes, 8 years old!! and my uncle taught me a lot of stuff long before I even went into the military, So guns to me is a non issue, my wife not so much! LOL! She's a California girl and she simply is afraid of them. Where I was born it wasn't uncommon for a boy to be out shooting with a parent, or in my case an uncle, when they were very young, usually around 7 to 8 years of age they start, and usually a small caliber rifle like a 22 or a 410 shotgun. Areas that hunt a lot have people that have a lot of respect for guns, they're not the ones that go out and do mass shootings, in fact in certain more remote areas of Alaska and Canada (Wyoming due to many recent threats has been trying to do the same thing but is having trouble getting people to accept it) the older high school age boys bring loaded high powered hunting rifles to the bus stop (only one is assigned to carry a rifle), take them onto the bus, take them into the classrooms with them and set them next to their desks, why is that you scream? three words...bears-Grizzlies in particular, wolves and moose, and you never hear of those kids going on a rampage and shooting up the classroom or the school. These bears are moving from more remote areas due to climate change and are now going into areas where more humans are, and bears are the only animal that will intentionally hunt a human, the others will only kill a human out of fear or protection of cubs, but rarely for food, mountain lions if starving and see a human as an opportunity will attack a human for food. This migration of dangerous animals is why Wyoming who never would have considered guns coming to a bus stop and onto the bus in the past are now, problem is most of the population is against it, but when a kid or kids gets hurt or killed at a bus stop they'll change their minds fast, and Wyoming is a huge hunting state so it won't be much of a problem for them to go that route, of course this would only apply to more rural areas. Not much is mentioned about kids taking guns to school because the rest of the US would be in shock, so it's kept real quiet; also keep in mind, these are rural areas, the schools are very small, they're not being bused into Anchorage! Anchorage is far away from these rural areas.

Even though Alaska allows guns for the protection of the kids at a bus stop, the attacks are very rare, I tried to get a number on how many bus stops in rural Alaska were threatened by bears or other wildlife and I couldn't find anything, does that mean it never has happened, or simply not newsworthy, or to remote for the news to even hear about it? I don't know, but even if it never has happened that doesn't mean it will never happen, and it's enough of a concern in those rural areas to address the situation. I do know too that in some less rural areas where law enforcement can get to a bus stop, they actually will have the State Troopers waiting at bus stops just in case of a bear. Again I couldn't find any information if a Trooper ever had to kill an animal, probably for all the same reasons I mentioned earlier. A family I knew that lived in a semi rural area said they had a state trooper waiting at the bus stop every morning for that reason. I think too that if there has been known sightings or attacks in a certain area that would probably be the reason for the state trooper presence. Carrying a gun for a very rare event is similar to having schools where I live that shelter the kids in tornado drills, we've never had a tornado hit a school where I live so why bother with the drills if it's so rare? Yes we've had tornado sightings, and yes they've had bear sightings, heck I believe they've had a lot more bear sightings then we have tornado sightings yet we drill the kids for tornados, I can't even recall when the last time our city has seen a tornado, we've had watches but no sightings. So to say guns aren't necessary for kids protection going to school in case of an animal attack isn't correct.

rollingthru

Actually the moose is the animal to fear in rural areas (or not so rural) in Alaska.
They are VERY unpredictable when there are “babies” around. I was walking my German Shepherds once and had one charge me, it was encounter I will never forget! After cleaning my shorts I went and got bells to put on the dogs collars to try and prevent it from happening again.

Top Bottom