Basic tools for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Jeez! I see where I've being going wrong......
357 Magnum: Check!
Spare Brake Pads: Not necessary

^_^
Well if you need brake pads, simply use the gun to rob another tourist :evil:

>>I can't see the need for a cassette breaker, or in my case a freewheel breaker, because if I have to do that I still have to walk someplace and buy another freewheel, might as well just let the bike shop fix it since I would have to go there anyways.

I thought folks carried these to help with fixing spokes but don't suppose you need one for that as you are carrying the fiberfixes.
Jeez! I see where I've being going wrong......
357 Magnum: Check!
Spare Brake Pads: Not necessary

^_^
If your brakes go you just shoot your own wheels out.

froze

Über Member
Firearms wouldn't be much use against British wildlife. The most threatening are midges, which are really small and you'd need a lot of bullets.

I don't live in the UK, I live in America, and here we have all sorts of critters that can hurt you really bad, like bears, mountain lions, panthers, wolves, Coyotes, boar, certain snakes, Bigfoot...well fine Bigfoot is a made up legend, and if there was one I doubt a 357 would be enough to take it down. And since camping means camping in the wild, where wild animals like the ones I mentioned, live, then there is a certain degree of risk. Or what if something happens and I'm stranded for a few days and I run out of food? Ok, now I have an instrument in which I might shoot an animal to eat. There is also the slim possibility of a human predator as well coming up on a isolated camper to perhaps have a spot of tea with me...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hey

@froze
That's a pretty comprehensive kit list thanks.
Always cable or zip ties, and gorilla tape for sure.

Similarly to others, thankfully no gun, in Europe the most threatening creatures to campers are livestock.
It's a shame in a way we've got rid of all our top predators.

There's still dogs to worry about, or humans I spose - But any trouble off the latter and I just bore them into submission with my prattling on

But are you going to tell us about your secret with the stick on patches?

Tbh I've been pretty lucky with them too..

Even using ten in a row and they held OK
But is there a top tip we are missing ??

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't live in the UK, I live in America, and here we have all sorts of critters that can hurt you really bad, like bears, mountain lions, panthers, wolves, Coyotes, boar, certain snakes, Bigfoot...well fine Bigfoot is a made up legend, and if there was one I doubt a 357 would be enough to take it down. And since camping means camping in the wild, where wild animals like the ones I mentioned, live, then there is a certain degree of risk. Or what if something happens and I'm stranded for a few days and I run out of food? Ok, now I have an instrument in which I might shoot an animal to eat. There is also the slim possibility of a human predator as well coming up on a isolated camper to perhaps have a spot of tea with me...
Just follow this advice when camping,

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...howtocam.htm&usg=AOvVaw0AvJsxv5-VpsMyR2y8Zy2T

raleighnut

Legendary Member

classic33

Leg End Member
You don't have to bother about midges at this time of year though. They're a special breed in parts over here. Out all year round.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Yup that just about sums up my approach, to camping wherever I like

Only I pretend to be Estonian.

I draw the line at eating other folks pets though..
There's no need to antagonise the natives :angel:

froze

Über Member
Hey

@froze
That's a pretty comprehensive kit list thanks.
Always cable or zip ties, and gorilla tape for sure.

Similarly to others, thankfully no gun, in Europe the most threatening creatures to campers are livestock.
It's a shame in a way we've got rid of all our top predators.

There's still dogs to worry about, or humans I spose - But any trouble off the latter and I just bore them into submission with my prattling on

But are you going to tell us about your secret with the stick on patches?

Tbh I've been pretty lucky with them too..

Even using ten in a row and they held OK
But is there a top tip we are missing ??

The only times I encounter a dog is when I'm riding then they feel like they have to eat me, it would be impossible for me to retrieve the gun and the quick loader, load it, and shot the dog; equally when loaded for touring it's impossible to outrun a dog so the only 2 options a person has is either carry spray to repel the dog, or to give it a shot with the water bottle and hope it leaves. One female rider encountered a mountain cat and she couldn't out run it, so she dismounted her bike and kept the bike between her and the cat (she wasn't touring), eventually the cat left. But we do have cyclists that get killed by mountain cats here in the US. I think the cat is the biggest problem to a camper, most of the other animals tend to shy away unless you're stupid enough to leave food near you, and once you handle food you have to wash your hands and face to get rid of the odor or the animals will try to get into your tent, and a fabric tent is nothing for them to rip apart; but a cat is unpredictable, they could attack just for the fun of it! Bears tend to be deeper in the woods, but if they smell food they will come; raccoons are also a threat believe it or not, they may be small but if they smell food they will come, and raccoons are all over the place here. Raccoons are deadly too, I saw about a 25 pound raccoon kill a 80 pound German Shepherd, that dog didn't stand a chance! Raccoons are not afraid of people either, they'll come right up to a tent and sniff all along the border for food with you in the tent, I backhanded a raccoon once while I was in the tent because it was sniffing my head, all it did was snort and continue sniffing along the tent! But if a raccoon can kill a much larger dog within 5 seconds of battle believe me it could hurt a human pretty badly.

Stick on patches. First I only buy Park glueless patches, I've tried a lot of other ones including the Lezyne just recently and they all don't last more than about a day, the Park will stay on for the life of tube if done correctly. Putting on a glueless patch is similar to a glue on patch so some of this most of you already know how to do. First thing is you buff the tube; the second thing you do which you can also do with glue on's but most people don't, and that is to clean the area that you buffed with a alcohol pad and then clean your fingertips with it, wait for it to dry which takes about maybe 10 seconds; next peel the backing off by using your fingernail and lifting a corner making sure to touch the least area of the patch as possible (this is why you clean your fingertips); next apply the patch and then press it as hard as you can between your fingers and thumb for 30 seconds; this next part a lot of people don't think about doing with these patches and that is you have to look at the patch after you pressed it, the area that you pressed will have a sort of transparent look to it, sometimes a corner or two of the patch that didn't get covered by your thumb and finger will have a frosty look to it, you have to press those frosty areas again for 30 seconds. That's it. I much prefer glueless patches over glue ons, it takes a little less time but I don't have to bother with finding a dried glue tube, plus a wee bit less space is taken up by the lack of the glue tube. The one thing I do however is get a new ones every season, their cheap to buy so I just get new ones every year and not chance it, though I have used on occasion used ones that were 2 seasons old and they worked just fine, but I did have an issue with one that was 3 seasons old, so from that experience I play it safe and get new ones every year.

The Lezyne patches were so bad, I was able to peel the patch off, rebuff the tube, clean it and apply a Park glueless patch. Try peeling off and old Park glueless patch on a tube you're discarding, that patch will more then likely take a chunk of tube with it! 3M invented the glueless patch, I used those when they first came out, my first one failed, but then I changed what I did and they worked after that; 3M decided they didn't want to be in the bike business directly so they make them for Park, they use to make them for Specialized Fatboy patches as well not sure if they still do since I haven't been able to find these anywhere for quite a few years.

I've had as many as 13 to 15 patches on a tube that was my main tube, and that tube was about 8 years old when I finally replaced it which means my oldest patches still holding on that tube were 8 years old, the only reason I had to replace the tube was I got another flat that tore into a preexisting patch, and to patch over a patch simply would not work. I also don't have any problem with having a spare tube in my seat bag that may not get used for a very long time, and it will have a glueless patch sitting on it for that whole time and be perfectly fine when I need to use the tube.

Of course when I tour, even though I carry a couple of spare tubes, a spare tire, and those patches. I still try to prevent flats as much as possible because flats on a loaded touring bike is a headache and most flats occur on the rear where the panniers and fenders are (I have fenders on the front but no panniers just a handlebar bag), so I use the Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard tires (I tour on a vintage 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe and it has the original 27" size wheels, so the Schwalbe is the best tire available for that size, but they are extremely good tires and very long wearing), but I also use RhinoDillos tire liners (I chose these because they have a soft edge that goes against the tube instead of cut end that can rub a hole in the tube as you ride the miles) even though those Marathon tires are very resistant against flats, maybe an overkill on my part but like I said flats are a headache with a loaded touring bike and I would rather avoid it as much as possible. I do not use thorn resistant tubes, I think their too heavy and offer very little in protection, I would rather use that weight by using a tire liner, so I use standard 90-100 gram tubes. So far I haven't had a flat while touring.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The only times I encounter a dog is when I'm riding then they feel like they have to eat me, it would be impossible for me to retrieve the gun and the quick loader, load it, and shot the dog; equally when loaded for touring it's impossible to outrun a dog so the only 2 options a person has is either carry spray to repel the dog, or to give it a shot with the water bottle and hope it leaves. One female rider encountered a mountain cat and she couldn't out run it, so she dismounted her bike and kept the bike between her and the cat (she wasn't touring), eventually the cat left. But we do have cyclists that get killed by mountain cats here in the US. I think the cat is the biggest problem to a camper, most of the other animals tend to shy away unless you're stupid enough to leave food near you, and once you handle food you have to wash your hands and face to get rid of the odor or the animals will try to get into your tent, and a fabric tent is nothing for them to rip apart; but a cat is unpredictable, they could attack just for the fun of it! Bears tend to be deeper in the woods, but if they smell food they will come; raccoons are also a threat believe it or not, they may be small but if they smell food they will come, and raccoons are all over the place here. Raccoons are deadly too, I saw about a 25 pound raccoon kill a 80 pound German Shepherd, that dog didn't stand a chance! Raccoons are not afraid of people either, they'll come right up to a tent and sniff all along the border for food with you in the tent, I backhanded a raccoon once while I was in the tent because it was sniffing my head, all it did was snort and continue sniffing along the tent! But if a raccoon can kill a much larger dog within 5 seconds of battle believe me it could hurt a human pretty badly.

Stick on patches. First I only buy Park glueless patches, I've tried a lot of other ones including the Lezyne just recently and they all don't last more than about a day, the Park will stay on for the life of tube if done correctly. Putting on a glueless patch is similar to a glue on patch so some of this most of you already know how to do. First thing is you buff the tube; the second thing you do which you can also do with glue on's but most people don't, and that is to clean the area that you buffed with a alcohol pad and then clean your fingertips with it, wait for it to dry which takes about maybe 10 seconds; next peel the backing off by using your fingernail and lifting a corner making sure to touch the least area of the patch as possible (this is why you clean your fingertips); next apply the patch and then press it as hard as you can between your fingers and thumb for 30 seconds; this next part a lot of people don't think about doing with these patches and that is you have to look at the patch after you pressed it, the area that you pressed will have a sort of transparent look to it, sometimes a corner or two of the patch that didn't get covered by your thumb and finger will have a frosty look to it, you have to press those frosty areas again for 30 seconds. That's it. I much prefer glueless patches over glue ons, it takes a little less time but I don't have to bother with finding a dried glue tube, plus a wee bit less space is taken up by the lack of the glue tube. The one thing I do however is get a new ones every season, their cheap to buy so I just get new ones every year and not chance it, though I have used on occasion used ones that were 2 seasons old and they worked just fine, but I did have an issue with one that was 3 seasons old, so from that experience I play it safe and get new ones every year.

The Lezyne patches were so bad, I was able to peel the patch off, rebuff the tube, clean it and apply a Park glueless patch. Try peeling off and old Park glueless patch on a tube you're discarding, that patch will more then likely take a chunk of tube with it! 3M invented the glueless patch, I used those when they first came out, my first one failed, but then I changed what I did and they worked after that; 3M decided they didn't want to be in the bike business directly so they make them for Park, they use to make them for Specialized Fatboy patches as well not sure if they still do since I haven't been able to find these anywhere for quite a few years.

I've had as many as 13 to 15 patches on a tube that was my main tube, and that tube was about 8 years old when I finally replaced it which means my oldest patches still holding on that tube were 8 years old, the only reason I had to replace the tube was I got another flat that tore into a preexisting patch, and to patch over a patch simply would not work. I also don't have any problem with having a spare tube in my seat bag that may not get used for a very long time, and it will have a glueless patch sitting on it for that whole time and be perfectly fine when I need to use the tube.

Of course when I tour, even though I carry a couple of spare tubes, a spare tire, and those patches. I still try to prevent flats as much as possible because flats on a loaded touring bike is a headache and most flats occur on the rear where the panniers and fenders are (I have fenders on the front but no panniers just a handlebar bag), so I use the Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard tires (I tour on a vintage 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe and it has the original 27" size wheels, so the Schwalbe is the best tire available for that size, but they are extremely good tires and very long wearing), but I also use RhinoDillos tire liners (I chose these because they have a soft edge that goes against the tube instead of cut end that can rub a hole in the tube as you ride the miles) even though those Marathon tires are very resistant against flats, maybe an overkill on my part but like I said flats are a headache with a loaded touring bike and I would rather avoid it as much as possible. I do not use thorn resistant tubes, I think their too heavy and offer very little in protection, I would rather use that weight by using a tire liner, so I use standard 90-100 gram tubes. So far I haven't had a flat while touring.

Thank you for your very comprehensive answer.
I don't get too many flats when touring, but they usually occur when I've gone off road to find somewhere nice to pitch up, and I've encountered some bramble patches.

Those mountain cats sound scarey, I'd not heard so much about them, even from folks who back pack in The States, and have to be careful of bears.
That's good, for me cos I'm always looking enviously at the touring / hiking over The Pond, but am unlikely to be making it there any time soon.

So if you could supply a few more horror stories, then that would be really helpful with my aversion therapy!!

Yes clean hands for puncture repairs - definitely, and out of the wind helps too.

froze

Über Member

I've read a lot of websites and books on the subject of touring before I went and bought gear and went touring, they all have their own way to do things, most are pretty similar, just as here our lists are similar, but there are some differences, and some pack guns and some don't, just depends on how you feel about things. If I was in Europe, from what I've read here, wild life is not as threatening as it can be here in the US or Canada, now not everyone tours with a gun of course but most of those people are touring in a large group where having a gun is not allowed and animals tend to shy away from large groups of humans. But touring alone presents some challenges that while rare could occur. It's like this, I use Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard tires with a tire liner, I doubt I will get a flat with that setup, or at least it would be really rare, so why bother carrying a pump, patches, spare tire, and extra tubes? Of course carrying a gun isn't for everyone and in fact with some people I would recommend them not to because they may create more problems than they solve; and some people just have an aversion to guns; and of course some countries you can't have one on you.

But I've been trained in the military to use guns against people, I've hunted since I was 8 years old! Yes, 8 years old!! and my uncle taught me a lot of stuff long before I even went into the military, So guns to me is a non issue, my wife not so much! LOL! She's a California girl and she simply is afraid of them. Where I was born it wasn't uncommon for a boy to be out shooting with a parent, or in my case an uncle, when they were very young, usually around 7 to 8 years of age they start, and usually a small caliber rifle like a 22 or a 410 shotgun. Areas that hunt a lot have people that have a lot of respect for guns, they're not the ones that go out and do mass shootings, in fact in certain more remote areas of Alaska and Canada (Wyoming due to many recent threats has been trying to do the same thing but is having trouble getting people to accept it) the older high school age boys bring loaded high powered hunting rifles to the bus stop (only one is assigned to carry a rifle), take them onto the bus, take them into the classrooms with them and set them next to their desks, why is that you scream? three words...bears-Grizzlies in particular, wolves and moose, and you never hear of those kids going on a rampage and shooting up the classroom or the school. These bears are moving from more remote areas due to climate change and are now going into areas where more humans are, and bears are the only animal that will intentionally hunt a human, the others will only kill a human out of fear or protection of cubs, but rarely for food, mountain lions if starving and see a human as an opportunity will attack a human for food. This migration of dangerous animals is why Wyoming who never would have considered guns coming to a bus stop and onto the bus in the past are now, problem is most of the population is against it, but when a kid or kids gets hurt or killed at a bus stop they'll change their minds fast, and Wyoming is a huge hunting state so it won't be much of a problem for them to go that route, of course this would only apply to more rural areas. Not much is mentioned about kids taking guns to school because the rest of the US would be in shock, so it's kept real quiet; also keep in mind, these are rural areas, the schools are very small, they're not being bused into Anchorage! Anchorage is far away from these rural areas.

Even though Alaska allows guns for the protection of the kids at a bus stop, the attacks are very rare, I tried to get a number on how many bus stops in rural Alaska were threatened by bears or other wildlife and I couldn't find anything, does that mean it never has happened, or simply not newsworthy, or to remote for the news to even hear about it? I don't know, but even if it never has happened that doesn't mean it will never happen, and it's enough of a concern in those rural areas to address the situation. I do know too that in some less rural areas where law enforcement can get to a bus stop, they actually will have the State Troopers waiting at bus stops just in case of a bear. Again I couldn't find any information if a Trooper ever had to kill an animal, probably for all the same reasons I mentioned earlier. A family I knew that lived in a semi rural area said they had a state trooper waiting at the bus stop every morning for that reason. I think too that if there has been known sightings or attacks in a certain area that would probably be the reason for the state trooper presence. Carrying a gun for a very rare event is similar to having schools where I live that shelter the kids in tornado drills, we've never had a tornado hit a school where I live so why bother with the drills if it's so rare? Yes we've had tornado sightings, and yes they've had bear sightings, heck I believe they've had a lot more bear sightings then we have tornado sightings yet we drill the kids for tornados, I can't even recall when the last time our city has seen a tornado, we've had watches but no sightings. So to say guns aren't necessary for kids protection going to school in case of an animal attack isn't correct.

Top Bottom