Basic Turbo Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanG1

Picked up a cheap turbo to try and maintain some fitness when the weather turns.
I have a heart rate monitor but my wireless computer is on the front wheel so no good on the turbo.
Anybody have any training plans based on heart rate levels. Not wanting anything too hardcore but something to help maintain and improve both stamina and fitness say for 30 to 60 mins max?
Is it worth upgrading the cycle computer to one with cadence to add more structure to the work out?
Any advice appreciated, did some web searches but all I found were race orientated stuff and nothing really simple?
Cheers
Ian

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cadence is a largely useless measurement in general and on the turbo you have nothing else to concentrate on so just count your cadence yourself, no need for a computer.

I would just say ride the turbo at aerobic endurance intensity for your hour sessions and maybe tempo for the shorter ones.

Born2die

Try a sufferfest DVD to ride to I love them they give a great structured workout (I say workout it's more like torture) you have lots of choices from climbs to sprints to fitness training there new one out soon is a 2 hour climb session that looks brutal

Cadence - not needed. HR - useful, but not needed. If all you want to do is maintain fitness, then aim for an hour's session including two 10 or 15 or 20 minute intervals (depending on available time) at the hardest pace you can sustain for that time. Warm up for 10 mins, then interval 1, then spin easy for 10 mins, then interval 2, then warm down.

Don't be afraid of getting out the door though - all you need is the right equipment.

OP
OP
I

IanG1

Still planning on getting out in the fresh air on the weekend but using the turbo a couple of times during the week when it's dark and cold outside. I tried going out in the dark last winter but didn't enjoy it much.

400bhp

Guru
Just treat it like you would at the gym.

start with the basics. Split down training between fat burning (for want of a better term) / aerobic / anaerobic. Doing more of fat burning/aerobic and leaving anaerobic at first.

Main thing is just to do it and enjoy it.

Cadence is a largely useless measurement in general and on the turbo you have nothing else to concentrate on so just count your cadence yourself, no need for a computer.

I would just say ride the turbo at aerobic endurance intensity for your hour sessions and maybe tempo for the shorter ones.
I disagree, for an expert like yourself it might be useless, but for an erratic newbie, it is a good tool for concentrating on a regular pedal stroke initially. However, I agree that after a while you will find your own rhythm and probably not use it.

OP
OP
I

IanG1

Did my first session on it tonight, mixed it up a bit 10 minute warm up spin then 10 mins fat burning 5 mins spin them 10 fat burning you get the idea, put in a 1 min flat out all I had then 5 min warm down. Total time around 45 mins and my cadence was 90/100 rpm in both spin and fat burning. Time went by pretty quick sat in the garage with the radio on and to be honest I quite enjoyed it. The cadence felt like my normal road cadence. Sweat started to drip off me and according to my HRM I burnt 470 calories so all in all a good start.

doog

Did my first session on it tonight, mixed it up a bit 10 minute warm up spin then 10 mins fat burning 5 mins spin them 10 fat burning you get the idea, put in a 1 min flat out all I had then 5 min warm down. Total time around 45 mins and my cadence was 90/100 rpm in both spin and fat burning. Time went by pretty quick sat in the garage with the radio on and to be honest I quite enjoyed it. The cadence felt like my normal road cadence. Sweat started to drip off me and according to my HRM I burnt 470 calories so all in all a good start.

Sounds spot on. To make it more interesting you could get your laptop and run a few turbo training programmes as it mixes things up and prevent boredom. I watch it and listen to music. I have sufferfest but find it a bit hard core but there are some others around. I spent the last 2 winters on the turbo and was pleasantly surprised when I hit the road. I stick to the cadence on the programmes but struggle to match it when out and about.

I am a total believer in turbo trainers, I dont want to be a fat bloke :-) but this instrument of torture is brilliant for ticking over when the weather is totally crud.

I have a feeling this year is going to be another hard winter.

Sorry to say this, but fat burning on the turbo is a waste of time. In fact, fat burning in general is a a complete myth.

michaelcycle

Sorry to say this, but fat burning on the turbo is a waste of time. In fact, fat burning in general is a a complete myth.

Dude has a point although I wouldn't say it is a myth as much as largely over stated or misinterpreted.

You body does utilise a greater % of fat as opposed to other fuel substrates at lower intensity but at a higher intensity you use more overall calories so from a fat loss point of view it isn't worth worrying about.

Personally, I think trying to track calorie burn from exercise is a futile exercise largely.

400bhp

Guru
Dude has a point although I wouldn't say it is a myth as much as largely over stated or misinterpreted.

You body does utilise a greater % of fat as opposed to other fuel substrates at lower intensity but at a higher intensity you use more overall calories so from a fat loss point of view it isn't worth worrying about.

Personally, I think trying to track calorie burn from exercise is a futile exercise largely.

Agree.

\possibly interesting anecdoal evidence\

My sister was counting calories on exercise and eating to shift a fair bit of weight. I told her to stop it as (IMO) it is unsustainable in the long term (counting calories) as you will not really enjoy the lifestyle. For something to be sustainable it needs to be anjoyable, not a chore.

Surprise surprise, she stopped counting calories and the weight has dropped off.

Picked up a cheap turbo to try and maintain some fitness when the weather turns.
I have a heart rate monitor but my wireless computer is on the front wheel so no good on the turbo.
Anybody have any training plans based on heart rate levels. Not wanting anything too hardcore but something to help maintain and improve both stamina and fitness say for 30 to 60 mins max?
Is it worth upgrading the cycle computer to one with cadence to add more structure to the work out?
Any advice appreciated, did some web searches but all I found were race orientated stuff and nothing really simple?
Cheers
Ian
Move the magnet and sensor to the rear wheel and you might be lucky and the receiver can pick it up; if not put the receiver when on the turbo below and to the side of the BB.
I found Speed, HRM and Cadence (particularly cadence) are only interesting things look at post ride though.
I preferred random stuff changing my turbo intensity according to the current mp3 track I'm listening too and prefer to go for distance rather time; that way if I'm bored I can push myself to pedal harder and finish earlier.
I'm using rollers just now, IMO they are slightly more interesting than turbos (but not by much) and I'll be doing my best to get some proper road miles in.

Top Bottom