Basil panniers, has anyone tried them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Hey there everyone! An extra 9 inches of snow yesterday and more coming down today have me itching for Spring, and I plan to have my mudguards and rack put on in a couple of weeks in anticipation of eventual ice-less commuting. I will be taking my work clothes and folio, lunch bag, etc. as well as picking up groceries on the way home so nothing super extreme but I want something that will hold up well. It will be stored inside our dock at work so no real need for them to lock on, but I may find a way to do that anyway just for peace of mind.

I came across these beauties, they are just so pretty!!! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0160060SE/ref=twister_B0787DPBHW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 The charcoal and the red are both really nice looking. But being practical, I also want to make sure they are sturdy as well as pretty (like me, ;):laugh:)! Their website has quite a few pretty ones in different styles, some of them look much bigger than I would need though.
https://www.basil.com/en/bicycle-bags/

Anyone have experience with them? Any other not-plain looking bag you would recommend instead? I also found these that were kind of cute by a different manufacturer. https://www.amazon.com/Beluko-Class...sr=1-36&keywords=Ladies+bicycle+rack+bag&th=1. I am open to suggestions. The bike is a maroon/burgundy and champagne color with a bit of grey and black striping so fluoro orange or hot pink are not quite my style, haha.

Julia9054

Guru
I have a single Basil pannier. Can't find it on your Basil website link so maybe they don't make it any more?
It's about 3 - 4 years old, used most days and still looks like new so really sturdy. Mine is grey rather than patterned so goes with everything and just looks like a normal bag off the bike

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I have a single Basil pannier. Can't find it on your Basil website link so maybe they don't make it any more?
It's about 3 - 4 years old, used most days and still looks like new so really sturdy. Mine is grey rather than patterned so goes with everything and just looks like a normal bag off the bike
Thanks! I was worried that a single wouldn't be enough for groceries and all, so I hadn't looked much at those. The idea of being able to take it off as a bag is nice ,though (even though I never carry a purse and just have a little Swiss sling backpack I use when I need to).

Julia9054

Guru
I am a teacher. I can put teacher clothes, iPad, handbag stuff in it then when i get to school put all my books in it and carry it around all day like a normal bag. Just realised how long i have had it and what good condition it is in - a normal cheap school bag a can wear out in a year!

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
[QUOTE 5144512, member: 45"]Check out New Looxs. Seem pretty popular in Europe. http://www.newlooxs.nl/en/newlooxs/[/QUOTE]

Oooh, they have some nice ones! Thanks, I have to browse around more now. There are so many options!!! ^_^

I have a pair of Basil panniers - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/basil-mara-xxl-double-pannier-bag-47l/rp-prod82032 - which are about 2 years old and regularly get loaded to the brim with heavy shopping loads.

Obviously not to your taste aesthetically, but the quality is good. Apart from being a bit mucky they’re as good as new.

Thanks so much, I am glad to hear they are sturdy. I like that you load them up and they've held up well!

DM23

I also like New Looxs.
For shopping I have these Genova double panniers - they're more retro than pretty, but I like them. I've not had them long but they seem to be well made. For when I don't want to leave panniers on the bike, I have the smaller version of the Tosca bag which just clips on and off and is nice enough to use as a handbag :okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've got a set of Basil Mara (ordinary not XL I think) which have been brilliant so far. I use them mostly for shopping trips (two well-filled shopping bags each side) but they did come on my first multiday tour because my original packing plan didn't make it off the drive! They fold up so I can tuck them on the rack top when I don't want to fight crosswinds on the way to the shops so much. They have some sort of plasticky lining inside but they're probably waterproofish rather than fully waterproof in serious storms, especially as they don't have roll-down tops like Ortleibs. Dry bags can be bought cheaply and used if needed, though.

My wife has two Basil Sports Single panniers. The clips on one were maimed on tour last year and Basil sent us replacements for free - they're designed to be replaced but no-one in the UK seems to sell spares any more and a Basil dealer in Bruges didn't hold stock. They're big and easy to carry (shoulder strap, zippable cover concealing the clips and stopping them catching on things), but the rain cover pocket zips seem to fail easily - the rain cover still stays in the pocket, but it sags a bit and could snag on things.

I'd probably buy Basil again. Definitely for the sling-over double type, but the rigid clips on the singles are a concern.

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I also like New Looxs.
For shopping I have these Genova double panniers - they're more retro than pretty, but I like them. I've not had them long but they seem to be well made. For when I don't want to leave panniers on the bike, I have the smaller version of the Tosca bag which just clips on and off and is nice enough to use as a handbag :okay:

Thanks, the Genova looks nice. I wish it had more than one closing strap just for security so it doesn't flap open in the wind, but they have others that do. The Tosca is adorable, if I carried a purse I may like that idea as that looks straight out of the '50s :smile: Since it doesn't have a flap over top is it still fairly water-resistant? I have a friend that would like something like that.

I've got a set of Basil Mara (ordinary not XL I think) which have been brilliant so far. I use them mostly for shopping trips (two well-filled shopping bags each side) but they did come on my first multiday tour because my original packing plan didn't make it off the drive! They fold up so I can tuck them on the rack top when I don't want to fight crosswinds on the way to the shops so much. They have some sort of plasticky lining inside but they're probably waterproofish rather than fully waterproof in serious storms, especially as they don't have roll-down tops like Ortleibs. Dry bags can be bought cheaply and used if needed, though.

My wife has two Basil Sports Single panniers. The clips on one were maimed on tour last year and Basil sent us replacements for free - they're designed to be replaced but no-one in the UK seems to sell spares any more and a Basil dealer in Bruges didn't hold stock. They're big and easy to carry (shoulder strap, zippable cover concealing the clips and stopping them catching on things), but the rain cover pocket zips seem to fail easily - the rain cover still stays in the pocket, but it sags a bit and could snag on things.

I'd probably buy Basil again. Definitely for the sling-over double type, but the rigid clips on the singles are a concern.

Wow, that's great that they stand behind their warranty! Thanks so much for your recommendation!!! I am glad to know that you both have and use them, and you prefer the doubles (that's what I was looking at, I feel they would be more sturdy).

I think I am confident of my choice in Basil after everyone's good experiences with them. Now the only problem is choosing the pattern, lol! :okay: Thanks so much, everyone!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wow, that's great that they stand behind their warranty! Thanks so much for your recommendation!!! I am glad to know that you both have and use them, and you prefer the doubles (that's what I was looking at, I feel they would be more sturdy).
More than that: the pannier's rack clip was broken by pushing the bike into a narrow bridge, so it was something not covered by Basil's 2-year guarantee. I suspect the bag may have been older than that anyway and Basil never even asked about the age. It might be different if you live somewhere that the clips are on sale.

DM23

The Tosca is adorable, if I carried a purse I may like that idea as that looks straight out of the '50s :smile: Since it doesn't have a flap over top is it still fairly water-resistant? I have a friend that would like something like that.
I'll start by saying I'm mostly a fair-weather cyclist so I haven't tried it out in a downpour (and I'm unlikely to unless I get caught out by the weather!) but the zip copes fine with light rain.

Top Bottom