Battle of the Bulge (or: How do I stay fit in an unhealthy job?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I've turned 40, and as with a lot of males, the stomach is trying to grow. I always had a bit of a bulge to be fair: I'm generally slim but my body does like to store fat all in one place.

Now, I'd like to keep The Bulge to a minimum, but I'm at a bit of a loss with the current situation:

I commute as far as I can to work, about 6k (3.5miles) with 110m/369ft climbing. I appreciate this isn't that far and at 20-30min not that fast either...

I also walk another 1.5k at the other end of the journey.

I work in a theatre with about seven clients with a mix of Psychological/addiction issues, so I'm moving about plenty, carrying stuff and going up and down several flights of stairs throughout the day. I also sit at a computer about 30% of the time.

We start at 07:30 which means leaving the apartment at 06:30, so breakfast is very early. I eat a bread roll at 10:00 and again at 12:00am. We eat a cooked meal at about 2:30pm because we eat at our own restaurant when the lunchtime customers have gone.

Recently I've had to start eating a Snickers bar at 10:00am because if I don't I get sleepy and lethargic. As it is, by the time I get back to my apartment at 1730ish I'm exhausted -but I need to look after my kids so I can't just chill out.

I've tried eating fruit instead of bread in the morning but it doesn't seem to help -I just get tired and lethargic as if I hadn't eaten at all.

I don't drink alcohol, and most of my sugar is in tea and the current emergency snickers bar.

Before someone suggests it, changing job isn't an option until my contract ends in April 2019.

Any suggestions that I can squeeze into the day that may help the body adjust to the new situation and/or reduce body fat welcome

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Try eating porridge for breakfast. I found that it stops me wanting to snack for hours on end. You can make it in the microwave in three and a half minutes. I just use oats and milk and don't add anything on top. It's surprisingly tasty.

Try eating porridge for breakfast. I found that it stops me wanting to snack for hours on end. You can make it in the microwave in three and a half minutes.

I wondered about eating something heavier, but I eat six slices of heavy German bread at about 0530, which you'd think would stoop me needing to eat for a week, but, but by ten I need something solid to keep me going...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wondered about eating something heavier, but I eat six slices of heavy German bread at about 0530, which you'd think would stoop me needing to eat for a week, but, but by ten I need something solid to keep me going...
I'm no expert but I think that oats are supposed to release energy at a steady slow rate so you don't get sudden hunger pangs. They are also very good for your ticker.

I would suggest extending your morning commute to at least 45 minutes and make it a fasting ride. Don’t have breakfast before you set of but keep the ride fairly low intensity i.e. zone 2. This should cause your body to burn fat.

You shouldn’t have to get up any earlier to cover the extra distance as you will be skipping breakfast.

Have something to eat when you get to work.

Try it for a couple of weeks and see what’s what.

Graham

Julia9054

Guru
I would suggest extending your morning commute to at least 45 minutes and make it a fasting ride. Don’t have breakfast before you set of but keep the ride fairly low intensity i.e. zone 2. This should cause your body to burn fat.

You shouldn’t have to get up any earlier to cover the extra distance as you will be skipping breakfast.

Have something to eat when you get to work.

Try it for a couple of weeks and see what’s what.

Graham
This is what I do. Only 30 mins ride but on just coffee. Porridge when I get to work - those pots you pour hot water on do the job.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Tidy up your diet, jog each way to work.
Jog?????:eek::eek::eek:

That's a bit extreme.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm no expert but I think that oats are supposed to release energy at a steady slow rate so you don't get sudden hunger pangs. They are also very good for your ticker.
I was going to say porridge but you've already got there. It's slow release food so it might leave you free to ditch the bread and maybe have fruit instead. You can also mix in dried fruit, bananas, etc into your porridge to give you a bit of fast fuelling to get you out of the house.

Top Bottom