Battle of the Bulge (or: How do I stay fit in an unhealthy job?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
I wondered about eating something heavier, but I eat six slices of heavy German bread at about 0530, which you'd think would stoop me needing to eat for a week, but, but by ten I need something solid to keep me going...

I was diagnosed as borderline diabetic and advised to have multigrain bread.Along with other changes to diet I am no longer at risk.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I work 12hr shifts and it can be quite hectic so probably burn off quite a bit during the day.

What works for me (other than the 10 miles fast commute each way) is only taking a limited food supply and avoiding the canteen where I can purchase as much food as tempts me!
Rarely have breakfast before the ride unless it is cold and I want something hot before leaving the house when I have porridge or just a coffee. Cereals with milk mid morning, couple of sandwiches and an Apple for lunch then a banana mid afternoon. Sometimes I only take one sandwich instead of two, because if that is all I have then I can't eat any more. I rarely miss the extra sandwich!
The main thing is to keep busy so you don't have time to think about food, and definitely don't snack! We have Klix dispensers at work that dole out choc and crisps if you put credit on your own Klix key. My Klix key was issued to me when I started 9 years ago and is still in the sealed pack it came in, unused :angel:

A bit of discipline helps....... and don't take any money to work :laugh:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
No more bread. Porridge, made with full fat milk and linseed, sunflower and almond mix. The breakfast of champions. Protein heavy lunch and small evening meal. If you want to lose weight the adage is: If it tastes good,don’t eat it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Cold porridge or cold rice pudding both made with sweeteners if needed works for me when a I need to drop a bit, also very important for me to keep a proper diet diary, myfitnessplan works well.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cold porridge or cold rice pudding both made with sweeteners if needed works for me when a I need to drop a bit, also very important for me to keep a proper diet diary, myfitnessplan works well.
Sweetened porridge xx( but synthetically sweetened porridge xx(xx(xx(

Slick

Guru
No more bread. Porridge, made with full fat milk and linseed, sunflower and almond mix. The breakfast of champions. Protein heavy lunch and small evening meal. If you want to lose weight the adage is: If it tastes good,don’t eat it.

Got to be the worst adage I've ever heard.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd go with what skolly says. Dont take much money or you will pass that machine or shop. We have a refectory, cafe and machines in the building. Then there is a co-op right nearby and other eateries. Dont take money.

Since no longer cycle commuting I have to be careful what I eat. Lunch is just soup. I'll usually have some fruit during the day but I rarely have breakfast now (not good I know). Sugar in tea has gone too. I also watch what carbs I have in the evenings and have cut down.

Limit the bread if you can. Its not easy though, but little changes help. Ive lost about 6 kg since the start of the year but Ive still got at least that to go before I get back to pre-broken spine weight.
Cycling has gone from 150 miles a week to about 30-40 or in hours, 10 hours at least to about 3 or 4 (MTB is slower).

Top Bottom