BB squeak - Big job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I got a bit carried away with the hose pipe on the weekend when cleaning my bike, now the bottom bracket is squeaking.

It looks as if I've cleaned some of the grease out as I can see it behind the chainset in the cup.

I'm going to drop by Evans on the way home to get it re-greased, but is this a really big job which will require me to leave it there, or can it be done while I wait?

It's not a constant squeak, usually when my right pedal is at 3 o'clock, and sometimes it will disapear for a few minutes before returning.

My commute took me ages this morning as all I wanted to do was freewheel all the way for the peace and quiet :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Possibly a new BB as many are sealed units !

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
fossyant said:
Possibly a new BB as many are sealed units !

That's what I'm worried about. Do you think it would take long to fit a new BB?

I can't really do without my bike (well I probably could, but I don't want to).

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Fitting a new BB is about 15 minutes. It is a question of whether they have time to do it at short notice, but if they haven't you can book a time to have it done while you wait. You can ride it for a considerable time in that condition, it won't damage anything else.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
marinyork said:
Is it just a squeek or are you getting movement?

It's just a squeak, doesn't appear to be any movement. I haven't had chance to get it to my LBS yet, but the problem is also intermittant.

Last night when I cycled home it was fine, then this morning is was quite bad again. Until about 3 miles into my journey when it seemed to disapear, and was fine again.

MY LBS will be getting a visit from me first thing on Saturday morning.

I thought cycling was supposed to be cheap. I'm now buying a new chain and cassette this weekend (plus tools) and now it looks as if I'll need a new bottom bracket and pay for labour. :smile:

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Just a quick up-date.

I have found and eliminated the squeak (there was also a little clicking too on Monday).

I had replaced the chain and cassette on the weekend, so I knew that wasn't the problem, then as I was riding home on Monday I had a brain wave.

Perhaps it was the pedals as I hadn't lubed them in a while (spd). So I pedaled for a bit with just my right foot and found the sound disappeared.

Got home and squirted lube into the pedal joint, it drank about a gallon before it wouldn't take anymore, and then I lubed the springs for the clips.

Silence.....ah the relief was un-describable. I was smiling like a mad-man om tuesday morning.

Top Bottom