BB woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

My fixed has developed play in the cranks, signs point to a failed bottom bracket (with cranks vertically there is play if I push/pull them into/away from the frame - the whole crankset moves so it's not a lose crank).

Removed cranks, removed BB, no sign of damage or wear. It's only 3 months old with dry weather riding only.

Put BB back in, cranks back on, rock solid.

One ride later, the play is back.

Any ideas?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Which BB and which crank?

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Frame and BB are only three months old so hope it's not cracks. Have looked and no sign of such things.

BB was tightened until it offered resistance, then a tad more. It may well be unscrewing, shall have to test.

Zoiders

Possibly where the chain stay meets the BB, the shell itself will stay in one piece but you will get flex/play if you have got a crack as it's not anchored to the frame properly anymore.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

When it was freshly fitted and tightened there was no play though, I'd expect a crack would make it impossible to get that.
Wouldn't it? Really hoping the frame hasn't died on me.

Does steel even fracture?

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Took it apart again, no sign of any frame damage so with a better quality BB tool and some help we got it in good and tight.

It's held out against as much punishment as I could give in over a few miles, so hopefully was just a case of the original BB tool not getting it tight enough.

Thanks as ever for suggestions and advice.

Top Bottom