BBC Cycling Article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure why riding on pavements and RLJ'ing is described as "getting away with murder" yet left-hooking, slinging doors open or pulling out in front of cyclists isn't described as anything approaching murder or manslaughter.

Which set of actions are more likely to end up as unlawful killing? Oh well...same old same old.

briank

Hacienda71 said:
Saw this not sure if the link has been posted before but thought it was quite a well balanced view.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A47800280

Agreed, Good old Auntie. Not sure it quite captures the virulence of hatred directed by many motorists at cyclists, nor the smugness of the contempt many of us feel for them in their tin boxes, but it's admirably well balanced within relatively few words.

Crankarm

Guru
Usual BBC drivel. The implication that cyclists need to behave and get along with motor traffic otherwise we deserve all the bullying, intimidation, threats, careless and dangerous driving that affects so many of us.

I don't think the author has ever been on a bike. The piece was moribund nothing that clicking on a few websites or reading other articles wouldn't tell you to help you put together such a boring and stilted piece to fill copy space.

Does anyone at the BBC cycle?

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Blimey Crankarm that wasn't a reaction I would have expected. H2G2 is not written by the BBC it is hosted by the BBC It links to discussions at the bottom of the piece. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/dontpanic-tour It has started some quite interesting debates if you look a little further. You should have a pop at the bus drivers comments on the link to HGV's who is generalizing and probably has not ridden a bike judging by his opinionated view. I thought the article was quite positive stating the benefits outweigh the risks when cycling. Uses reliable sources such as DfT, CTC and Sustrans. It doesn't target cyclists, simply says all road users should respect each other. OK it is commentary but on balance it tends to favour the cyclist (nothing wrong with that). If you don't use references to justify what you are saying then your spouting opinion which in other peoples eyes could be complete rubbish.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It is rather garbled, seems to written by someone who doesn't actually cycle and doesn't really understand the issues.

raindog

er.....
Can't see anything wrong with that. It's just a rather dry presentation of facts.
The only thing that seems a bit odd is
"Unfortunately, about a fifth of those injured are children, indicating that inexperience is a major factor"
Surely it would only be a "major" factor if, say, three fifths of those injured were children and not one fifth? Just a quibble on my part.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think the article is fair and gives an equal representation to opposing views.

Okay it's written as the third person so it comes across that s/he doesn't cycle, but I wouldn't dismiss it as drivel.

Mick

As a cyclist that's been hit by a car (that commenced overtaking me and then turned left before actually passing me); as a motorcyclist that has had to risk hitting the tarmac to avoid a cyclist who clearly thought the red traffic light he'd just ignored was there simply to brighten the street-scape; ditto pedestrians stepping off pavements without looking; as a motorcylist that has had imbeciles on motorscooters swerve across my path, and; as a car driver that's had cyclists attempt a nearside pass dispite an indicator showing my intent to make a left turn... let's face it, at times it's complete mayhem out there.

My general feeling is that many car drivers have no spacial awareness whatsoever. They're too cossetted in their safety-cell. A six inch steel spike mounted on the steering-wheel boss of every car would I am convinced be a major breakthough in road safety (with apologies for plagiarising the 1970's Dunlop Denovo ad).

Top Bottom