BBC helmet cam film to explore cyclist-motorist conflict

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The BBC are to air a documentary that uses helmet cameras to explore the growing conflict between cyclists and motorists on Britain's roads.
The broadcaster says the one-off hour long film, The War On Britain’s Roads, will "parachute (viewers) into the middle of a war that is raging between two-wheeled road users and their four-wheeled counterparts".

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/...m-to-explore-cyclist-motorist-conflict-33840/

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The BBC are to air a documentary that uses helmet cameras to explore the growing conflict between cyclists and motorists on Britain's roads.
The broadcaster says the one-off hour long film, The War On Britain’s Roads, will "parachute (viewers) into the middle of a war that is raging between two-wheeled road users and their four-wheeled counterparts".

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/...m-to-explore-cyclist-motorist-conflict-33840/

Jesussss... it aint a war, its a genocide.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

I dislike this continual characterisation of a 'war' between cyclists and motorists but I suppose a title like "Cyclists' safety on the road" won't attract the same number, or type, of viewers. This sort of us v them rhetoric only serves to further drive any wedge between us and the comments and letters pages will once again be filled with anti-cycling rants.

All road users need to understand each other's needs and limitations, and use the roads with care and mutual respect.

GC

Bassjunkieuk

Veteran
Have to agree, the "war on the roads" angle is completely wrong. I bet they won't get across the point that 99% of my ride to and from work is conflict free and is actually incredibly fun!

Will be interesting to see who else on here has contributed and what was used? For me it was 2 clips of RLJing cyclists - one where the guy got pulled over by the police motorbike and another with a rather near miss on a ped. They did say they won't be portrayed in a negative light but then that is putting a lot of trust in the production crew and director!

The war on roads angle is wrong and so is the cycling is a death wish activity of extreme danger angle. If you want to put ordinary people off taking up cycling and encourage people to pressure their loved ones to stop cycling, this is the way to do it.

musa

Über Member
Best avoid....once you sign the document thats it no copyrights no this and that...now unless you double film and keep the original only way to prove them wrong they will certainly show what THEY want

its a shame

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Will be interesting to see who else on here has contributed and what was used? ... They did say they won't be portrayed in a negative light but then that is putting a lot of trust in the production crew and director!

They've got one of mine (a smidsy) where I shouted a warning to the driver (I'd no horn then) who then pulled out in front of me. Had I known the angle of the programme I wouldn't have provided it. In fact I'm just about to write to them to get clarification on how cycling will be portrayed. I'm not optimistic and will probably withdraw it anyway.

For those who are interested, here's how they pitched the video request to camera cyclists via Youtube:

"URGENT BBC DOCUMENTARY

I am emailing from a television company called Leopard Films in the UK. We produce a range of factual programmes for a number of different broadcasters, in particular the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation). We are currently working on a documentary for BBC One about the phenomenon of cyclists wearing cameras on their helmets or bikes, to record their experiences on the road as well as other user generated footage from cyclists and I have been looking at a clip you have posted on youtube with great interest.
We are particulary keen to include one of your clips.
As we are approaching our deadline would you be happy to give us permission to use your clip in our programme?"
GC

Crankarm

Guru
Copyright remains with the film maker or photographer unless they explicitly surrender it by signing it over to another party. If you don't want your clip used then tell the broadcaster so. If you want a fee if they use it then tell them so and send them an invoice. If they fail to comply with either of these tell them to cease using your footage and if they don't send them a letter from your solicitor.

Of course you have to get al the necessary model and property releases for people and property in your footage or image otherwise they could sue you.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Wondering how this will go down, will cyclists be portrayed as responsible road users or will they focus on cycle ninja's and RLJ's and make out all cyclists are reckless? i fear this may bite us in the ass. i seriously hope they make the distinction between responsible cyclists and clueless ninja's and show the real need for us to get people educated both cyclist and motorist alike.

Of course you have to get all the necessary model and property releases for people and property in your footage or image otherwise they could sue you.

Didn't Magnatom put that to rest years ago?

If it is filmed in a place where there is "no reasonable expectation of privacy" and shows information in the public domain (like registration numbers) then there is no need for any consent

Top Bottom