BBC helmet cam film to explore cyclist-motorist conflict

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Didn't Magnatom put that to rest years ago?

If it is filmed in a place where there is "no reasonable expectation of privacy" and shows information in the public domain (like registration numbers) then there is no need for any consent

Correct.

The BBC doesn't get model releases from the hundreds of people in shot on Oxford Street while they do a piece about consumer news, or the thousands of fans attending a football match they're covering.

public place = public face

GC

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
it'll be like Mr T's Craziest Fools...

all the 'gasp' footage regardless of whether it's a bike or a car.

do we get a prize for guessing correctly?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can't seeing this programme doing anyone any favours. So all you who volunteered footage remember it can be used as the editors want. It's very likely to show war on the streets. Not going to do anyone any good.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Jezston

Über Member
I think some little email writing campaign asking them not to present the issue as a 'war' between two sides, the cyclist and the motorist and more about good road users and dangerous ones, and a bit more about facts than drama, might be worthwhile?

it'll be like Mr T's Craziest Fools...

I'm sure it won't have as impeccably produced sound design work on it though ;)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I suspect that this will be like the film about microlights that was on earlier in the year (The real magnificent men in their flying machines).

Whilst it was entertaining it just reinforced all the worst stereotypical views and was a long way from the reality of what the average microlight pilot really gets up to.

davefb

Guru
With the "lights camera action" sort of programming, they tv companies did initially have 'difficulty' getting the tone right. Hopefully they get the tone 'sensible' for this, but if they start with "the war between" it's not good is it? I don't set out being confrontational, but I don't hold back if a car shoves towards me, because the stupid bint is texting while q'ing in traffic and not concentrating...
But there's no 'war', theres people who are trying to record what happens to them, if only so that if something bad happens, they have evidence and also 'could I have done better'... this isn't solely cycles, its motorcyclists, car drivers all sorts.. I certainly have more 'moments' due to idiots , driving in the car, its just that due to 50yrs of effort, cars are relatively safe, so in most cases the worst that can happen is some bent metal..
Personally, any education would be great, of all peoples mistakes, not just 'a war', perhaps with an explanation of WHY it's so ruddy dangerous to pull out on bikes, of WHY cyclists feel safer running reds ( booo), of WHY cyclists dont use the bit on the left, of WHY cyclists might bip onto the pavement, of WHY cyclists feel intimidated when you leave less room passing them than passing a skip/parkedcar etc..

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've written to the production company withdrawing my consent for the use of my video and they have since ackowledged that it will not be used.

I would suggest that anyone else who has submitted footage, and would prefer not to be involved with a programme that may well further damage cycling's standing, do the same.

GC

Bigsharn

Veteran
Well, I think it is a war: a war between responsible cyclists and prats. (Other wars are available.)

That, or Everyone vs Firstbus/Addison Lee (cross out as appropriate)

*not stirring, just telling it how I sees it*

1:18

I am very worried about the cyclist in this video, as apparently he was wearing Latex!

Daffydt.jpg

Or do you think it was a Freudian slip eby the driver who is into Latex?

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Incredible!!!!!

I get that at work all the time from one particular colleague,plus the riding up pavements,jumping red lights,blah blah blah...and he also had a go at my video yesterday as he found the misdemeanor of me overtaking on the crossing.When I remarked on him speeding though he didn't deny it.

Top Bottom