BBC helmet cam film to explore cyclist-motorist conflict

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I don't think you should see it as rivalling our videos, it kind of suggests that we try to make the best videos / worst incidences. Which for my self is not true and i'm sure can also be said for the others.

The filming and talking about this show has been going on for well over a year and back then you where probably just starting out (if you had even started). As for being insulted... don't take it to heart, they aren't going to look at and include every cyclist in the uk who is filming (+400 people). They will look at those of us who have been around for a few years, had some of the worst incidences and some of the best results.
Fair point. I only started uploading June 2011 and that was with my old camera.

If they did another one (which I highly doubt) then I might be a contender. I am not too bothered anyway. I know that there are other people who have had worse incidents than me (the one with the lorry was terrible).I look forward to watching the program and picking up on the "Road Tax" comments (it would be nice for the program producers to clarify for everyone).

D

Deleted member 20519

They've got one of mine (a smidsy) where I shouted a warning to the driver (I'd no horn then) who then pulled out in front of me. Had I known the angle of the programme I wouldn't have provided it. In fact I'm just about to write to them to get clarification on how cycling will be portrayed. I'm not optimistic and will probably withdraw it anyway.

For those who are interested, here's how they pitched the video request to camera cyclists via Youtube:

"URGENT BBC DOCUMENTARY

I am emailing from a television company called Leopard Films in the UK. We produce a range of factual programmes for a number of different broadcasters, in particular the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation). We are currently working on a documentary for BBC One about the phenomenon of cyclists wearing cameras on their helmets or bikes, to record their experiences on the road as well as other user generated footage from cyclists and I have been looking at a clip you have posted on youtube with great interest.
We are particulary keen to include one of your clips.
As we are approaching our deadline would you be happy to give us permission to use your clip in our programme?"
GC

What's your Youtube?

riggsbie

Coffee and Recumbent Trikes.......
Ooooo..... I'll have to look on the torrents sites do I can watch here in Oz !

The car vs bike thing is pretty bad here, ironically I am a recumbent rider (on one of those low death traps ;-) yet ironically I get a lot space and respect than when I ride my new DF upright road bike where car drivers take great pleasure in giving you next to no respect and cut you off at every opportunity...... Weird init ?)

I look forward to comments after its been aired !

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I don't recognise this war of which they speak... I ride my bike on the road sensibly and make allowances for what's ahead and around me, ie I react to other road users in the same way as I would when driving- give a little: be helpful, friendly and courteous and you get the same back. If someone's in a hurry or angry about something just let it go. If you have to slow down or let someone out/ past/ through, so what? You won't lose any more than a few seconds and will be back up to speed straight after, what's the problem? They maybe having a bad day, so don't try and make it worse. Life is as easy or as difficult as you want to make it.

tadpole

If you don't think it's a war, I suggest that you have a look on Twitter, I had to unsubscribe from one feed as it was just hundred of retweets a day from people who think that they had the right to run over/kill cyclists, for daring to be in the way when they car owners wanted to be driving on their road. Sickening

400bhp

Guru

:sigh:

Awaits the long thread about the film and the silly discussions at work:rolleyes:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If you don't think it's a war, I suggest that you have a look on Twitter, I had to unsubscribe from one feed as it was just hundred of retweets a day from people who think that they had the right to run over/kill cyclists, for daring to be in the way when they car owners wanted to be driving on their road. Sickening
Twitter? ...give over.:laugh:

Davidsw8

Should be interesting, does sound one sided on the p-o-v of the cyclists (not that I mind that especially) but I hope it is more balanced than it sounds...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
@gaz-do you know which vids of yours & others they have picked to show?
I know which videos I gave them permission to use, I don't know which ones they will use of those.
I'm also aware of a few of the clips they are using from other cyclists.

Davidsw8

I know which videos I gave them permission to use, I don't know which ones they will use of those.
I'm also aware of a few of the clips they are using from other cyclists.

Puts paid to all those people who say it's pointless and stupid to film your journey, well done Gaz!

Top Bottom