BBC helmet cam film to explore cyclist-motorist conflict

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I get that at work all the time from one particular colleague,plus the riding up pavements,jumping red lights,blah blah blah...and he also had a go at my video yesterday as he found the misdemeanor of me overtaking on the crossing.When I remarked on him speeding though he didn't deny it.

IIRC the wording of the law states motor vehicle overtaking another motor vehicle, not drivers overtaking bikes or cyclists overtaking motorists... Gaz did a blog on it a while back.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I think everyone on here is in an agreement that if cycling is indeed portrayed by this programme as silly and dangerous (those few instances), then we should all email the broadcaster and ask 'why?'. Why hasnt driving been portrayed as dangerous? Or motorcycling? Why do cyclists have to be singled out as the dangerous ones?
Just a few queries to put to them.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think everyone on here is in an agreement that if cycling is indeed portrayed by this programme as silly and dangerous (those few instances), then we should all email the broadcaster and ask 'why?'. Why hasnt driving been portrayed as dangerous? Or motorcycling? Why do cyclists have to be singled out as the dangerous ones?
Just a few queries to put to them.

I think the most important, logical, critique of such opinion is this: if it is so bad and/or wrong - then why do cyclists still exist? The benefits must surely outweigh the negatives to such an extent that people are willing to give it a go.

Cyclists and Health & Safety are much the same here... Both are maligned by the arrogant or ignorant, both are badly represented by the few who do it badly be it through arrogance, ignorance or just plain stupidity, the majority of both just want to go about their business doing something worthwhile, however, both are commonly misrepresented in the press.

I didn't see the similarities until tonight so now I see why I find it so frustrating.... I am a cycling H&S Manager!!!

Oh woe is me ;)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Cyclists and Health & Safety are much the same here... Both are maligned by the arrogant or ignorant, both are badly represented by the few who do it badly be it through arrogance, ignorance or just plain stupidity, the majority of both just want to go about their business doing something worthwhile, however, both are commonly misrepresented in the press.

I didn't see the similarities until tonight so now I see why I find it so frustrating.... I am a cycling H&S Manager!!!

Oh woe is me ;)

I always see so many parallels with cycling. And the Human Rights Act.... and race/ethnic/religious relations... seeing the parallels allows you to see the inspiring people who radically changed things for the better.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Thanks for the update Gaz.

Reading the synopsis I'm glad I removed consent to use one of my videos. I can't see this programme doing anything but further polarise the debate on sharing the roads.

GC
I hoping it just media hype. They have to spin it to try and gain an audience.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
When I heard about this, I was quite insulted that they didnt contact me. I have plenty of videos to rival those of Gaz's and SOTW's.
I don't think you should see it as rivalling our videos, it kind of suggests that we try to make the best videos / worst incidences. Which for my self is not true and i'm sure can also be said for the others.

The filming and talking about this show has been going on for well over a year and back then you where probably just starting out (if you had even started). As for being insulted... don't take it to heart, they aren't going to look at and include every cyclist in the uk who is filming (+400 people). They will look at those of us who have been around for a few years, had some of the worst incidences and some of the best results.

Just a snippet of what myself, mikey and magnatom have recorded over the years.

*wanted to include one more video from magnatom, but there is a 5 limit media includes per post.

Thanks for the update Gaz.

Reading the synopsis I'm glad I removed consent to use one of my videos. I can't see this programme doing anything but further polarise the debate on sharing the roads.

GC
Well it doesn't look too bad, I was expecting worse.
Looks like they have the mother of the young lady killed by the cement truck and who has been campaigning to get those sensors fitted to the sides of Lorries & a taxi driver who's changed his ways!!!!

The film presents both sides of the story, retelling dramatic incidents from both the cyclists’ and drivers’ points of view.
The drivers side of an incident will be what? "Well, I er, didn't see him", "He came from nowhere!" "First thing I knew was this crazy cyclist & his bike banging on my window screen", "He doesn't pay road tax.....and there was a perfectly good cycle path...."

Shall we make it a point scoring drinking game for every cliché?
Book Thursday off!!

Top Bottom