BBC helmet cam film to explore cyclist-motorist conflict

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Postings elsewhere on this forum suggest that the film has been produced by a company headed by a cyclist. That may well mean that it is more balanced than it would otherwise be.
Unfortunately the original plan for the show was changed after the BBC wanted to make it more... edgy.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When I read about and view the material helmet cams produce I'm very pessimistic about the benefit to cycling of this programme.

I worry it will simply reinforce the view some motorists hold of cyclists and even more concerning the general public may develop a false view of us. A shame really because in my experience the large majority of motorists are respectful of a cyclists needs.

In my experience the real issue is the behaviour of elements of commuting cyclists and motorists. On recent trips to London I witnessed very poor cycling standards which detract from those who know how to behave. Sadly the bad cyclists where there in considerable numbers.

Recently a young cyclist offered to help me get from A to B in Manchester by following him. His lack of thought for other road users was outrageous and he was clearly commuting. Not the first time I've witnessed this in Manchester but certainly the first time I've had to follow one.

I feel the helmet cam culture has real potential to damage the image of cycling in this country and I wish people would seriously consider the likely consequences of their filming.

Myself I find it simpler to just ride the bike.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I feel the helmet cam culture has real potential to damage the image of cycling in this country and I wish people would seriously consider the likely consequences of their filming.

Damage it how?
Now I know how it could damage it but you didn't hint towards that in your post.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Recently a young cyclist offered to help me get from A to B in Manchester by following him. His lack of thought for other road users was outrageous and he was clearly commuting. Not the first time I've witnessed this in Manchester but certainly the first time I've had to follow one.

Yes, but that's no different to people in cars - we are the same humans after all. The problem is not just this behaviour, but also that people are bigoted towards cyclists, focusing on the tiniest thing a cyclist might have done wrong, or blaming the cyclist for actual good cycling, whilst forgiving motorists the most extreme of transgressions quite easily.

Just look at Gaz's recent RLJ topic with the Keltbray topic. Dear oh dear!!!

jarlrmai

Veteran
I fear bad things from this programme, if anything the minority people who are anti-cyclist and exhibit this whilst interacting with cyclists will cherry pick any negative portrayal to justify their current attitudes and actions whilst driving.

I'm hopefully coming off a very bad 2 weeks of driving, close passes, phone using drivers, pull outs, being forced off the road, threatened etc. I'm trying very hard not to paint all drivers with the same brush.

I think the main point that needs making is that even if you feel a cyclist is not riding where you think they are riding you CANNOT intimidate them or take less care when passing them. Some people feel that we shouldn't be on the road at all there needs to be harsher consequences for close passes it needs not to be a must not a should in the highway code, there needs to be a national advertising campaign like there is for motorbikes, why can't Think Bike be about us as well?

400bhp

Guru
Hopefully it will be airing views from non political corners. Once a particular lobbyist starts prattling on (on either side of the debate) it loses credence.

Slaav

Guru
I happen to know the commissioning editor for this prog! I would like to think - knowing her - that her genuine talent and judgment will shine through!

That is to say that she will only ever commit to a prog that genuinely shows an in depth view. Not to say it will be balanced but this is a very talented and bright person who would, I imagine, be a very balanced view.

In the past, her typical programmes ask more questions than they answer by looking at it from the 'inside'! And the better 'inside' will be the cyclists' view as it is in the minority and showing perfectly normal people cycling reasonably and STILL being nearly killed, MAY (just may) help the debate and programme more than the typical thing we all fear????

And 'no', I have not spoken to her about this and have no axe to grind :sad:

Top Bottom