Be careful out there

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just a quick reminder, be careful out there for the next couple of weeks in the evenings (for those of us commuting around the 4-30pm to 6-00pm time !)

Many drivers face the sudden shock of commuting in the dark for the first time in months. Certainly from experience (as a motorist as well) it's the time of year where many silly accidents happen.

When I used to drive 30 miles to work, there were many shunts on the motorways at this time of year, making getting home a chore.

On the plus side, time to play with your lights for 'real' ! (for those of us not on shift).

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I wish, I have still got my operation on my AC Joint (clavicle) on the 19th November. I don't think I will be back on my bike until mid December at the earliest.

jimboalee

My ride to work starts at 04:45. There are four days in the middle of summer when lights are not required. So they stay on the bike.

This is based on 'lights on' being until 30 minutes after sunrise.

decca234uk

Good advice, I've invested in another back light, it's really dark now and the sudden change can catch us all by surprise, two good flashing lights and plenty of refective clothes are essential at this time of year.

potsy

Rambler
I'll just carry on as normal then
thumbsup.png
My lights get used every day except a week in June when it's light at 4.45am.
1st day back today after a weeks holiday and I got soaked,lovely incident free ride both ways though,apart from the shock of how unfit I felt
biggrin.gif

noelmg

Tonight is my first ride home in the dark, and I am not looking forward to it one bit! I haven't ridden a bike in darkness for 14 years, so am very nervous! Half my ride home is on the road, with stupid islands in the middle, drivers usually cut pretty close anyway, and the second half is down disused railway lines in the middle of the countryside, with no lighting whatsoever.

I have 2 lights on the front and 2 on the back (one static, one flashing), and I wear hi-vis, so hopefully will be pretty conspicuous, but just hope that it goes OK :-)

I got a red light from poundland and a little green 3 led front thing and my black hooded top will keep my ears warm

Not really...but there are plenty out there who think that's adequate

And I do have a poundland rear light.....as my 5th light! Coupled with 2 superflash and 2 banks of flashing LEDs on a reflective trouser band strapped to the rear struts of by pannier rack

Coco

Tonight is my first ride home in the dark, and I am not looking forward to it one bit!  I haven't ridden a bike in darkness for 14 years, so am very nervous!  Half my ride home is on the road, with stupid islands in the middle, drivers usually cut pretty close anyway, and the second half is down disused railway lines in the middle of the countryside, with no lighting whatsoever.

I have 2 lights on the front and 2 on the back (one static, one flashing), and I wear hi-vis, so hopefully will be pretty conspicuous, but just hope that it goes OK :-)

You'll be fine. I find drivers give you more room when you are lit up. Just take your time and anticipate bad driving.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Tonight is my first ride home in the dark, and I am not looking forward to it one bit! I haven't ridden a bike in darkness for 14 years, so am very nervous! Half my ride home is on the road, with stupid islands in the middle, drivers usually cut pretty close anyway, and the second half is down disused railway lines in the middle of the countryside, with no lighting whatsoever.

In regards to the islands. Anticipate, check, signal and manoeuvre into a strong primary position. This will stop any vehicles from trying to cut you close or squeeze through. (But you probably know that already
thumbsup.png
)

avsd

Guru
I loved Hill St Blues where this quote very popular. Seriously I was driving on Friday evening - dark and very wet. There was a cyclst with Hi Vis jack and flashing red led on the back. I could not see him with all the other background lghts in the city. This was a careful cyclst - well dressed and light cycling carefully. :ohmy: The lesson I learnt for the coming weeks of commuting in the dark is just assume the car drivers can't see you and cycle very carefully.

- Baz -

First commute home in the dusk/dark for me tonight. Thankfully, event free.

Picked out in the headlights of following cars, I spotted three POBs at various times heading in the opposite direction - all were dressed in dark clothing and without any lights whatsoever...
ohmy.gif

theFire

Veteran
Tonight was my first cycle commute home in the dark also. It didnt even occur to me that part of the A road I travel on is unlit until tonight.... even though i've been driving up and down it to work for 2 years+ and even lived on that road (a lit part!) for 8 years!

I have 3 LED lights at the back (1 on helmet) with a mixture of steady and flashing and 2 LED lights on the front (1 on helmet again)... all "to be seen lights"

Looks like i'll need to invest in a "to see" light to make sure I can avoid those damn potholes (that i've basically memorised now anyway)

Still... I enjoyed the ride

Top Bottom