Bearing spares

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My normal commuter bike, a Falcon Explorer, has bog-ordinary ball-bearing wheel hubs, and the front ones are in need of new inner races (cones) as the hardening has worn through. The balls themselves, with the aid of only my Mk.1 eyeballs and not a microscope look OK, nice and shiny with no dull areas and the bearing cups in the hub have only the expected bright shiny line around them. I'm sure if I'd checked these a few weeks back I'd have caught them before this happened as the grease had hardened off.
I have repacked the bearings with Moly Disulphide grease for now but know the bearings'll need renewing.
Does anyone know of anywhere that sells the parts individually as one Lbs doesn't (I've asked) and the other (a) I asked years ago and they said no and (:bicycle: due to the type/style of bikes they sell now would probably eject me from the premises if faced with such a plebian request :biggrin:. I know new ball-bearing hubs aren't exactly going to break the bank but I'm trying to be eco(logical/nomical)ly minded here! :blush:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I often just recycle cones from other hubs. Might be worth asking your LBS if they've got any old wheels that are getting thrown out.
Failing that, you could try SJS Cycles:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cid/6SQMEIIR751IQ1X32QJUPMZY0RBJ4HN1/category-HUB-SPARES-110.htm

OLDSHUNTER

are you series ? you went to the hassle of regreasing n didny replace bearings .you should think of new forum name ? try TIGHT ARSE you miser[lol]

Ach, awa an' boil yer heed! :tongue: I only repacked a shafted bearing 'cos (a) I was at work and therefore (B) couldn't get to a shop to procure the necessary spare parts. When I can I'll put new uns in, so ner! :biggrin:
I do like being a grown up on these internet forums :smile: .

killiekosmos

Veteran
My LBS sells packets of loose bearings but not cones - need to buy axle with cones (£4).

Halfords sell full assemblies (axle, cones and caged bearings) (£12)

Top Bottom