Beast from the East

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Yep, more snow showers forecast here tomorrow. The existing stuff hasn't melted much as temperatures are still hovering around freezing.

Our wonderful local council appear to have given up on even attempting to clear roads or pavement. But I see the UK Govt.'s latest tactic is to appeal to our consciences and are asking that "community spirit" makes up for the deficit in public spending by encouraging us to get out and clear pavements, and 4x4 owners are asked to transport hospital staff to their work!

I wonder if the same community spirit will be shown by 4x4 owners insurance companies if they are involved in a claim while acting as unofficial taxis?

Round here we have fit, able-bodied people kicking off about the council only clearing the main roads, bus routes and associated pavements. Apparently it's unacceptable to expect people to clear their own drives and cul de sacs.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Round here we have fit, able-bodied people kicking off about the council only clearing the main roads, bus routes and associated pavements. Apparently it's unacceptable to expect people to clear their own drives and cul de sacs.
In my area thay just re-routed the bus service away from the village, it was late this afternoon until it was back on again, I have yet to see any road that is gritted in my area, yet I know the council has two snow ploughs with gritting machines

classic33

Leg End Member
Round here the council will hold you responsible for any accident caused by you clearing the road.

Can't see this disappearing in a hurry... but we can at least reach the nearest village now
20180303_165507.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
On Thursday, CalMac withdrew all the ferries on the Wemyss Bay to Bute service because of the weather. There was very little wind, just snow - and really not an excessive amount of that. Why do snow showers prevent a ferry sailing anyway?
Snow showers which restrict visibility are a safety issue.
Marine radar will provide a good image in fog, but not so in falling snow, and particularly not in whiteout conditions, so we wouldn't want the ferries to be sailing "blind" in snow showers, particularly in an estuary where there are numerous vessels on the move.

Mike_P

Guru
Round here the council will hold you responsible for any accident caused by you clearing the road.
There is grit bin next to the steepish slope on my cul-de-sac. Consequently whoever is at home and able get together and clear the road and grit it. If we did not no one would be able to get out and anyone trying to return home would no doubt skid down hill and fail to negotiate the bend that follows. Consequently whilst the car was snow bound Thursday morning and the road looking very tricky when I got home the road was clear and gritted unlike all the other side roads.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Communication with the outside world restored yesterday in the shape of the X95 bus. Celinette #2 came home from uni and wanted to go sledging.
First attempt in the field by the house abandoned due to a pair of horses that wanted to join in. Sliding down a hill with a horse galloping alongside is a bit unnerving.
Next attempt was on Gala hill, free of quadrupeds but the snow was too deep.
IMG_20180303_155957.jpg

We gave up on the sledging and tried to roll a giant snowball down the hill but it's the wrong sort of snow for that. Useless stuff. :angry:

Another 15mm overnight and it's been gently snowing all morning.

classic33

Leg End Member
There is grit bin next to the steepish slope on my cul-de-sac. Consequently whoever is at home and able get together and clear the road and grit it. If we did not no one would be able to get out and anyone trying to return home would no doubt skid down hill and fail to negotiate the bend that follows. Consequently whilst the car was snow bound Thursday morning and the road looking very tricky when I got home the road was clear and gritted unlike all the other side roads.
They removed all 620 grit bins last September, yet to work out where to put them and an additional 150 bought.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Lots of 'panic' buying in Aldi yesterday... no milk, no bread, no fresh chicken, no mince, no frozen pizzas and lots of people going bananas because we don't have a dairy cow in the warehouse or a secret bread mountain reserved for our 'regulars'.

Not sure if it's the cold weather or fear of a new cold war after news of Putin's new toys.

Top Bottom