'Beat the Clocks' - Hebden Bridge, Sun Oct 18th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi all.

This could be*** your last chance to come on one of my hilly forum rides in 2009. I've planned it for a Sunday to give more of you a chance to come along. I've chosen the 18th October because the clocks go back the following weekend so hours of daylight will soon be a problem. Also, I want to call in at Coldwell Activity Centre cafe and it is shut the following week.

So here are the stats. - 90 km with 2,500 m of climbing (56 miles, 8,200 ft). There is the usual mix of long steady drags, lots of moderately steep shorter hills, and a few really tough ones to get stuck into. 75% of the route is on scenic, quiet roads. The other 25% consists of scenic, busier A-roads!

beat-the-clocks-route.jpg

Route

beat-the-clocks-profile.jpg

Usual rules - fast climbers wait at the hilltops, nobody gets left behind, not for novice riders or impatient experienced riders! :biggrin:

Start time is 10:00 to allow people to come in on the first trains into Hebden Bridge. Sunset will be at about 18:00 so we will have plenty of hours of daylight. Cafe stop at Coldwell at the halfway point.

Meet at Market Place car park:

getmapimage.asp

It's a long stay car park and is only about 30p/hour. I'd suggest paying until 18:00 just to be on the safe side (wardens patrol here and issue £60 fines!)

'Be There or Be Square!'

Rider list:
  • ColinJ
  • Alun
  • aJohnson (maybe?)
  • PaulB & Liam (maybes?)
  • Bokonon (probably?)
  • Svendo (maybe?)
  • goodspeed (maybe?)

*** I will still be riding later in the year, but all rides will be done without lights so daylight hours will determine how long any subsequent rides are

RedBike

Sadly I can't make this ride.

I doubt I will be riding out that far from home once the clocks go back so I will try and catch up with everyone next year.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

RedBike said:
Sadly I can't make this ride.

I doubt I will be riding out that far from home once the clocks go back so I will try and catch up with everyone next year.

dan_bo said:
I'll be racing in't t'boggart t'ole t'clough (my home turf). But i will be endeavouring to join in such a ride in the new year.
Hopefully I'll see you both next year then (feels funny saying that in early October!) and enjoy your local rides in the meantime.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sadly, I can't make it either. I've been co-opted into another ride that has been bubbling for some considerable time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Alun said:
Yes! I'll have some of that Colin, I have checked my diary this time. Is it anticlockwise?
Very good! Yes, the ride will be in the anti-clockwise direction so it starts with the long drag up the Keighley Road, as we did with Spring into the Dales. The good thing with this route is that there are numerous places where we can take a shortcut back if the weather turns nasty on us, or if the old legs start to pack up.

marinyork said:
Sadly, I can't make it either. I've been co-opted into another ride that has been bubbling for some considerable time.
Oh well, I'm sure that you'll make it to one of my rides eventually! :smile:

longers said:
I'm square xx(
Boo!

I might organise a ride in November if we don't get a repeat of last year's early winter, but daylight hours will be an issue with me not being particularly quick. Perhaps I'll suggest something a bit shorter, say 40-45 miles?

longers

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
I might organise a ride in November if we don't get a repeat of last year's early winter, but daylight hours will be an issue with me not being particularly quick. Perhaps I'll suggest something a bit shorter, say 40-45 miles?

I'll do my best but am not confident about being able to do the things I've already agreed to do, let alone do anything else this year.

Will try though cos they're always a good day out are your rides ;)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

longers said:
I'll do my best but am not confident about being able to do the things I've already agreed to do, let alone do anything else this year.

Will try though cos they're always a good day out are your rides ;)
Good man! Trio said that she might be able to make one in November too and there are one or two other people who have hinted that they might be available.

marinyork

ColinJ said:
Good man! Trio said that she might be able to make one in November too and there are one or two other people who have hinted that they might be available.

I am generally available, just you generally hold the rides too early. I'd have to cycle over at about 6:30am to get there!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

marinyork said:
I am generally available, just you generally hold the rides too early. I'd have to cycle over at about 6:30am to get there!
Blimey - it's a fair old ride from Sheffield to Hebden Bridge and back, even without doing one of my rides when you get here!

I've had some people say that my rides start too late because they don't end up getting home in time to do anything much afterwards!

Left to my own devices, I'd start summer rides at about 11:00 because I don't like getting up early, and I don't like riding my bike within 2 hours of my breakfast.

marinyork

ColinJ said:
Blimey - it's a fair old ride from Sheffield to Hebden Bridge and back, even without doing one of my rides when you get here!

I don't often venture north. It is a problem as the less one does it the less motivated one is to get to someone else's ride, but if you never do the ride... anyway vicious circle there. And transport options vary. Tantalisingly the ride the day after Strines you all ventured further south than you have before!

ColinJ said:
I've had some people say that my rides start too late because they don't end up getting home in time to do anything much afterwards!

Yes I can certainly understand this. It is a common complaint of people who I ride with at weekends (or don't primarily!).

ColinJ said:
Left to my own devices, I'd start summer rides at about 11:00 because I don't like getting up early, and I don't like riding my bike within 2 hours of my breakfast.

I do the majority of rides in the evening, even at weekends :biggrin:. Anyway I'll manage to come along somehow, I have done with a couple of the York rides.

Top Bottom