Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very similar incident to Cab this morning.

I was cycling along a road that has a couple of long central curbs, and in the space between them are lines of paked cars, making primary essential for a stretch of around 600m. When there is no parking on the left, there is a central curb making the road way too narrow for a car to pass, and when there is no curb there is a line of parked cars, and after seeing a cyclist in London doored at around 25mph I NEVER chance the door zone.

The car behind me got pretty stressed that I dared to ride in the middle of the road / RH tyre track all along this stretch. Beeping a few times and finally screaming past me when the road opens out, round the RAB the wrong way and then stopped in a cloud of tyre smoke behind a driver who knew her HC and stopped at a yellow light.

Just smile and wave, smile and wave... :blush::biggrin::biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Riding primary - that's something I do at a particular 200 yard stretch of road - two lanes, right turning lane always a queue...

Well didn't ride primary tonight, what happened, loon in a red transit screams passed me and caused me to swerve to the curb just to avoid being taken out by the back of his van..... 'FCUK etc'.... caught him up, and as the traffic was still moving, instead of 'That was a bit close' out came 'Watch it you F'ing A**hole' in a rather angry voice through his open window.... unable to stop due to traffic... :blush: argh.... :smile::evil::smile::evil::smile:

Maz

Guru
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
...a road that has a couple of long central curbs, and in the space between them are lines of paked cars, making primary essential for a stretch of around 600m. When there is no parking on the left, there is a central curb making the road way too narrow for a car to pass, and when there is no curb there is a line of parked cars...
My brain hurts. I can't visualise this. Do us a google map, Jacomus, will you? :blush:

domtyler

Über Member
When will you guys learn that primary pos. is not just for mucking about and showing 'em who's boss. It is there to keep us alive. Please use it.

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1465932

Thats the best I can do, it's not very clear but basically whenever there isn't a sandy coulored smudge in the centre of the road, there is a solid row of parked cars on the left.

domtyler
When will you guys learn that primary pos. is not just for mucking about and showing 'em who's boss. It is there to keep us alive. Please use it.

I wasn't using it to show her who was 'boss'.

The very fact that she beeped at me whilst I was in primary on this stretch of road, which is too narrow for a car to pass me with any degree of safety, shows that holding primary did its job.

Especially since when there was room she screeched round a mini RAB on the wrong side of the road, and then nearly rammed a stationary car :blush:

Im just tending to have a go at motorists using mobile phones or not concentrating.

Yesterday just past Blackfriars bridge I was aware of a motorists poor road positioning in front of me.Then when I looked in his car he was writing a note on a notepad while driving along.I gave him a blast of my motorcycle horn and it startled him :smile: causing him to swerve outward suddenly.:blush:

Today just past Mile End I notice some twat texting while driving along so I put my arm up as I went past him.He noticed me as I did it again then he shrugged his shoulders.

Don't know why the hell at the time I didn't give him a blast of both Motorcycle horns.:smile:

Im starting a new club. Its called Cyclists With Shooters. Anyone want to join? (not allowed to shoot people obviously but a bullet in the radiator? 'Bullet in the radiator no harm done' as they say).

fossyant

My example was that if you forget to use primary, some idiot WILL try and knock you off. This was the first time since commuting that I've not used primary at this particular point.......just goes to show.......

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
As ever, with this sort of thread, I read thinking "Well, at least that hasn't happened to me" and then got beeped and gesticulated at this morning.

For me, it's crossing a junction about a third of a mile from home. It's a crossroads, with double lanes that become one on the side I cross to. Primary makes sense here because of some nasty inspection covers where secondary is, and the reduction of risk of close overtakes by people anxious to reach the queue of traffic at the roundabout by getting into the single lane ahead of you.

The beeper in this case was an older gentleman, who indicated his displeasure and wish that I was closer to the kerb.
I had a bit of a shout back, and some (non obscene) gesturing myself. Toyed with the idea of catching up and explaining why I was where I was, but just could not be bothered. I'm finding this stuff just depresses me these days, instead of making me angry.

Oh. and I got a stone thrown at me by chavs on the commute home too.

ChrisW

John the Monkey said:
As ever, with this sort of thread, I read thinking "Well, at least that hasn't happened to me"

That's how i feel and i STILL haven't got any tales of aggressive driving.

This morning when i came round a roundabout a driver was very courteous and let me in...

No one came too close to me...

No WVM shouted at me...

No one cut me up...

No taxis swerved in front of me...

No other bikes cut me up even...

A taxi waited patiently behind me as i moved to the outside of the left lane to enable me to turn left more quickly..

Why oh why won't something "interesting" happen to me...

Sorry, i forgot, a car did cross in front of me on the yellow light!!!!!!!! (yawn)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
ChrisW said:
That's how i feel and i STILL haven't got any tales of aggressive driving.

You're living the dream, ChrisW :blush:

I have nice days too, just not so many lately (my personal view is that it's the dark nights, people seem grumpy because of it).

U

User482

On my ride in to work this morning, not one driver misbehaved. I was however the only cyclist to wait at any of the red lights I encountered.

fossyant

I had a good ride this morning.... even on of the house services guys asked if I was coverinhe bike up to stop it freezing.. just mentioned for when it rains..... then he said I could lock the bike up downstairs in the boiler room - nice and warm....might just take him up on that. Save on carting a bike cover about.

Arch

Married to Night Train
<small voice>Can I just point out that the thing at the edge of the road is a kerb, not a curb

Hey Jacomus, it would have been good (although not for the other party) if that woman hadn't stopped in time and had rammed into the back of the vehicle that stopped. Especially if that vehicle could have been something like a bin lorry that wouldn't have been damaged much... I suppose you used up a load of good shadenfraude with those chavs who ripped their body work off on the speed bump..

Top Bottom