Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Just before I left my beloved Dog and Bell this evening, the landlord told me that after all this hop-centred innovation, the next thing is tipped to be mucking about with malt. As I'd just ordered a half of Kent brewery's 12th night, a strong barley wine, I then had a little time to mull over the taste of a very dark and malty barley wine. I wish I'd tried a pint when I first arrived chilled to the bone. Pretty sweet at the front, rounding off nicely like a porter with a bit of a bitter aftertang.

Before that, a pint of Kew brewery Hybrid, a heavily hopped beer, probably classed as an IPA. A little clouded fruitiness at the outset but dominated by an astringent and lingering bitterness. Too bitter for my taste but not a bad beer, in my reckoning.
After that, a Tillingbourne Hop Troll, a definite IPA, which also went from fruity to very hopped-bitterness at the end.

2 1/2 to add to the year's total. But as I think adding it all up I'm going to end up with a total that has sixths in it, and that's far too complicated for me, I'm going to add my wind-down 500ml St Austell Tribute to the list and drop 1/6th from the total. A bit thin, dry and yeasty flavoured for me.

Last edited:
The remainder of the day was similarly themed, until about midnight when jenever seemed a good idea. It wasnae.

U

User169

Citra Saison from BBNo. Top shelf saison.

44D892AD-A336-43C0-A052-EED7BBDEE635.jpeg

“Has anyone seen my dog?”

“I’ve taken him. Sorry”
Certainly very distinctive

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Tonight's new beers:

A Deya Momentary Bliss. As it was 7% plus, I only had 2/3, reasoning I might end up with a round number in my new beers tally. A full fruity pineapple bomb with a light hoppy reminder that it's a beer slipping in at the end. (Perhaps it's in danger of tasting too much like an alcoholic fruit punch to really be what I'd call a beer.)

As it was rather sweet, I followed it with a Brick Tamarind Sour. Brick started in Peckham but have just opened a bigger brewery in Deptford. As yet no tap room there. Anyhow, in case there is anybody here working for the trade descriptions act, I can put your mind at ease. Very tamarindy and extremely sour.

No trade descriptions dispute over Pressure Drop's Chocolate Stout. Very stout, very chocolatey, and probably more barley than was in the barley wine I had last night. A novelty real beer.

I claim 2 2/3rds.

Total: 96 2/3rds

Last edited:
View attachment 402424 A friend with gluten intolerance is coming round for a meal. These were the only gluten free beers I could get my hands on - the can cost over £4.00 so it’d better be good but do any of you know what these two beers are like?
I've not had any of them but Burnt Mill are said to be "Britain's best new brewery" and I'm inclined to agree; all of the ones that I have had have been excellent.

I imagine the Brew Dog will be good too

Top Bottom