Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Beerpeeps, I am off to Ghent this weekend for beer and bike racing; any bars to recommend or beers to look out for? I fancy trying out the University area this year and am not familiar with it, but students and beer usually mix well

't Velootje for something very different.

Not sure if it's still opening though - the local authorities were trying to close it down I think.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Cumbrian Legendary Ales have done an oatmeal version of their Vanilla Stout-the oatmeal adds a nice bit of depth and nuttiness. I also enjoyed Fell Ghyll (pukka golden session bitter), Almasty DDH Pale ( full of flavour for its 4.2% ABV thanks to the dry hopping) and Deya/Northern Monk/Verdant Hop City (fruitier than Miss Goodbody...calling @Fnaar , hoppier'n a box of frogs awn a griddle, 8.4% and my last beer of the evening in the Fell bar). My tastes have definitely changed beerwise-it used to be all hoppy/fruity IPAs for me, but now I find myself drawn more towards European styles, especially saisons and wheatbeers, and the efforts of our Trappist friends. IPAs have to be truly outstanding these days to impress me (I still love the likes of Jaipur and Cumbrian 5 Hop though).

U

User169

't Velootje for something very different.

Not sure if it's still opening though - the local authorities were trying to close it down I think.

This is the interior....

't velootje.jpg

U

User169

What do they serve? Beer? Or more a bong and pancakes type of place?

Beer, but you kinda get what you’re given. Not entirely sure of it’s still open though. It breaks pretty much every HSE rule and might now have been closed down permanently. Having said that, this is Belgium and someone I know posted some piccies when he was there in February.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Dog and Bell diversion back from hospital visiting. Beat Ales brewery New Wave. A golden ale that starts with a friendly kiss and then sinks its bitter fangs into you. A Brockley brewery pale ale. It's got that slightly watered-down apple juice flavour which sent me to their website so I could identify the hop but the site was devised by young people using i-phones and I couldn't find anything out. I believe that's 2 more new ones but I'll have to do a search under Brockley to see whether I've tried it before.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Dog and Bell diversion back from hospital visiting. Beat Ales brewery New Wave. A golden ale that starts with a friendly kiss and then sinks its bitter fangs into you. A Brockley brewery pale ale. It's got that slightly watered-down apple juice flavour which sent me to their website so I could identify the hop but the site was devised by young people using i-phones and I couldn't find anything out. I believe that's 2 more new ones but I'll have to do a search under Brockley to see whether I've tried it before.

A quick search reveals that I've already had the Brockley pale and even commented on its appleiness before.

So just one new one to take me to 91 1/3

& Summit.

Will, go on then, worrizzit?

Now I'm having Hip City, the collaboration fit the Hop City event this week.

Northern Monk X Deya X Verdant X YCHHOPS DIPA in a funky can with a peel and reseal label for done reason.

Photo later

Top Bottom