Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Brightside, a go to Manchester brewery, made The Full Manc hazy with hops in the FV. it's really good but a difficult sell in the Spoons where a lot is being refused

View attachment 402391
That's a shame..'Spoons Penrith have a bit of a disappointing beer selection, because any more quirky stuff just doesn't sell there apparently-there's always the Fell Bar though, and Dockray Hall has a decent selection too (I've spotted Wylam and Salopian on tap there).

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
20180403_124710.jpg

A 'New Zealand hopped amber maize ale'.
Quite pleasant after a heavy morning shopping session.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Family birthday tonight (grandmother of my grandchildren) but they came and visited my home territory. Bagged 2/3 of Fourpure's Apricot Gose (not sure about it, Fourpure's beers have regularly impressed me but this felt a bit like a copy. I'll check it again later to see whether my impression is confirmed).

Then we went off to to ''Gin and Beer,'' where the females drank various gin concoctions and the poor solitary man drank a half of draught Westmalle Dubbel. I learnt that there are only a handful of places in the UK that serve it draught and I'm grateful that they chose round the corner from my place as one of the places to serve it. Rich, dark and rather luscious. (side note: I had a gin I really enjoyed finishing off for my unofficial stepdaughter, who didn't take to it. Gin, lime and Absinthe works for me....)

Followed by a Vedet IPA, again from the tap. Pretty dry for a ''new world'' style IPA, almost understated, but it was also a beer that didn't forget it was a beer and start pretending it was a fruit juice. Worth revisiting.....

Back home, winding down with a bottle of Radical Road, which still has me thinking I detect basil in there somewhere, thinking 'grandchildren and beer' covers my day so I really can't complain.

And I'll have 1 2/3rds to add to my running total.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Tonight's trio of tipples:

A Boundary American pale ale. (I gather they're a Belfast Brewing Coop.) A bitter beer, slightly astringent, almost lemony at the front of the mouth, biting about two thirds back on the tongue, but that curiously left no aftertaste.

A Crate session IPA. Rounder than the Boundary, with a middle of the mouth pungent bitterness that makes me think of aniseed (does anybody know if this taste is associated with a particular hop?). Light, but not absent, on aftertaste.

A Hop Stuff Cascade pale, classed as one of their seasonal beers. The least favourite of HSB's concoctions so far, but they've set the bar pretty high, but at least it had a full hoppy aftertaste.

As the three all had a summery feel to them, with accordingly lowish alcohol levels (3.6% the highest), I found myself looking again and again at their stronger, fruitier beers on the board. But for some reason I refrained.

Licorice or aniseed is usually the malt isn't it? Interesting! What colour beer is it?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Licorice or aniseed is usually the malt isn't it? Interesting! What colour beer is it?
It was a pale ale but perhaps a very small tad darker than most. I thought that perhaps it might have been a hop but malt would also make sense. I may have to ask at a small local brewery for a second opinion. It's demanding work this beer business....

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My ride home from Westminster Bridge came perilously close to Fourpure's taproom. But I can vouchsafe for their peach sour. The perfect drink to refresh after a fairly warm ride. A recommended après-vélo drink. And it actually tastes of peach!

Suitably refreshed, time for a No Coast IPA. A beer, rounded, fruity at the front, tropically grapefruit. A good 'un.

Finished with a Fourpure Oatmeal Stout cos oats is good. Stout too. Listed as one of their ''Flagship'' beers, it wasn't distinctive enough to be flagship good, but thoroughly competent, I reckon.

Home again, but thanks to some careless work by LiDL shelf stackers or DGAF customers, I find what I thought was a Circadian is actually an Innis and Gunn Gunnpowder (see what they did there?) IPA. A surprisingly nice accidental buy.

2 2/3rds on the pint scale, and 0.33 on the metric small pint scale.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I've just been sampling some of my haul from the Crafty Sheepdog, a newish bottleshop in Keswick (must visit Keswick Brewery another time:cheers:)- Yin Yan, a black IPL from Tractor Shed near Workington (black IPA cum lager with malty notes, yumtus) and Big Lush, an IPA from Ennerdale with lots of Mosaic hops (one of my favourite hops with its mellow fruity notes). Very drinkable though the Mosaic OPA (oatmeal pale ale) from Fell Brewery beats it IMO...very pleasing to see this old favourite back.

Top Bottom