Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Found a great brewery & taproom yesterday afternoon whilst cycling in North Wiltshire.

The Flying Monk, near Hullavington.

https://flyingmonkbrewery.com/

Good selection of ales, as it was so hot I went for the Sirin Lager, but also got a taste of the Tropical IPA which tasty light and zingy.

IMG_20220716_135318.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Found a great brewery & taproom yesterday afternoon whilst cycling in North Wiltshire.

The Flying Monk, near Hullavington.

https://flyingmonkbrewery.com/

Good selection of ales, as it was so hot I went for the Sirin Lager, but also got a taste of the Tropical IPA which tasty light and zingy.

View attachment 653269
I only know of Hullavington because my father was stationed there during WWII. In fact it might have been there where he got his flying training done. Is the brewery somehow connected with the old RAF aerodrome, I wonder?

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
I only know of Hullavington because my father was stationed there during WWII. In fact it might have been there where he got his flying training done. Is the brewery somehow connected with the old RAF aerodrome, I wonder?

No, the taproom & cafe are in an old barn which has been beautifully renovated. Apparently it opened in Covid times, it was very popular on Saturday afternoon, with people enjoying the cool temperature inside the high ceilings of the barn.
It's a real shame we only had time to stop for one beer but I will definitely return to sample some more & for a spot of lunch.

IMG_20220718_121016.jpg

stephec

Legendary Member
These two for me tonight, the Moose is a fairly generic Stout but none the worse for it, whilst the Teri was a find in Quality Save for about £1.49, and not really worth the money. I don't know what I could taste but I couldn't really make my mind up what was going on, not one that I'll be buying again.

IMG_20220720_215808.jpg

stephec

Legendary Member
Lovely stuff this from Williams Bros in Alloa, but I've only ever seen it in Tescos north of the border.

Last week as I passed Lockerbie I popped in to stock up and they only had that one lonely can on the shelf.

IMG_20220723_231312.jpg

stephec

Legendary Member
Another top class double from Williams Bros, think I might have to set up a mail order account.

It's the one on the right by the way. 😊

IMG_20220724_193339.jpg

stephec

Legendary Member
Four new ones this weekend.

The Siren and Harbour are both fairly standard hoppy IPAs with the Siren being the slightly better one of the pair.

Stopclock was a bitter style, similar to Sierra Nevada beers, and the best one of the four.

As for the Vocation, I don't know if its just me but all their beers just seem to taste the same to me, not one that I'll be buying again.

IMG_20220729_194636.jpg

IMG_20220729_194711.jpg

stephec

Legendary Member
Does anyone else get this?

Just lately hazy IPAs have left me with a dry irritable throat, Hazy Jane from Brewdog does it, but the worst offenders are anything from Vocation or Northern Monk.

The more dense and opaque they are the worse it seems to be.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Does anyone else get this?

Just lately hazy IPAs have left me with a dry irritable throat, Hazy Jane from Brewdog does it, but the worst offenders are anything from Vocation or Northern Monk.

The more dense and opaque they are the worse it seems to be.
Have you noticed the same effect with gluten free beers? Or do you think it might be something to do with unfiltered beers?

stephec

Legendary Member
Have you noticed the same effect with gluten free beers? Or do you think it might be something to do with unfiltered beers?

Never tried gluten free, but I've never had a problem in that area before.

I read a while back that there was lactose in the unfiltered stuff, and a few years ago when I went back to the gym I had a bad stomach after a week of mixing protein powder with milk, switched to mixing with water and everything was OK.

Maybe something to do with that.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Never tried gluten free, but I've never had a problem in that area before.

I read a while back that there was lactose in the unfiltered stuff, and a few years ago when I went back to the gym I had a bad stomach after a week of mixing protein powder with milk, switched to mixing with water and everything was OK.

Maybe something to do with that.
Or as an afterthought, Siren and Vocation are fond of adding oats to their ales for '''mouthfeel'' and Brewdog's Hazy Jane also has oats as an adjunct.

stephec

Legendary Member
Or as an afterthought, Siren and Vocation are fond of adding oats to their ales for '''mouthfeel'' and Brewdog's Hazy Jane also has oats as an adjunct.

That might have something to do with it, I used them for extra carbs alongside the protein powder and sometimes felt a bit bloated, that might just have been the amount I was stuffing down though, this time it's a dry irritable throat.

On a more positive note I've been to Livingston today and taken advantage of being north of the border to stock up with these beauties.

IMG_20220802_181020.jpg

Top Bottom