Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Imagine you are on a road trip in northern france and intend to go to the birthplace of the inventor of the saxophone - Adolphe Sax. He was born in Belgium so you cross the border and look at the map and see a town called Chimay only a few km up the road. Stop in Chimay but cannot find a brewery only an 'english pub' going by the name of The Queen Mary! I kid you not. Discover 'L'Espace Chimay' is 9 km to the south. Highly recommended - usefully, it has a restaurant and accommodation attached.

Chimay Tasting 220915.jpg

I was not aware that Chimay also make cheese. Also highly recommended and as you might imagine, the cheese pairs with the beer rather well. The couple below were having the tree tasting (4 x 18cl, Dorée, Triple Rouge et Bleu, je pense) and a cheese plate tasting.

Chimay Tree Tasting 220915.jpg

Edit: Roads around there look wonderful for bike-riding; pleasant rolling countryside.

Last edited:
Following day, back in la belle france looking for a local cheese, Maroilles, and the Saint Humbert Brasserie Artisinale. Much easier to find cos its on the main drag in town. Operated by the personable owner Bruno. (Last name Ryberzynski - very french).
Bruno's Beer 220916 (2).jpg

From left: Blonde 6%, Ambrée 6% and Triple 8%. All brewed in the tiny weeny space seen behind the rope, above. All very good too, although the Triple is not to my unsophisticated (beer) taste. Stayed for a sandwich, a lovely atmospheric space.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Imagine you are on a road trip in northern france and intend to go to the birthplace of the inventor of the saxophone - Adolphe Sax. He was born in Belgium so you cross the border and look at the map and see a town called Chimay only a few km up the road. Stop in Chimay but cannot find a brewery only an 'english pub' going by the name of The Queen Mary! I kid you not. Discover 'L'Espace Chimay' is 9 km to the south. Highly recommended - usefully, it has a restaurant and accommodation attached.

English pubs used to be pretty common in Belgium, but you see them less often these days. Irish theme pubs seem to have replaced them.

Imagine you are on the same road trip in northern france and the first overnight stop, the guy at reception asks if you would like a local beer as an aperitif before going out for supper, it would be rude to say , non. So he brings me one of the most delicious beers I've had in ages. Maybe I was thirsty. Looking at the label, I see it is unpasteurised and unfiltered, so not surprised to find plenty of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Pour carefully! The brasserie is only 5km away but sadly closed the few days I'm in the area. A few days later, I find some in the french equivalent of a farm shop and drink it with an evening snack more days later.
Thierache 220921 (2).jpg

stephec

Legendary Member
An offer I couldn't refuse from Beer52.

I've had both Stones before and know they're good, but apart from the Northern Monk and Dark Arts the others don't fill me full of joy.

IMG_20221005_183719.jpg

Venod

Eh up
Tonight's tasty stuff.

20221008_210002.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I popped in early for a taste of the Cloudwater Schwartzbier but some bastard's drunk it all.

So an Abbeydale Chinook is doing a worthy job of being something completely different. Bright with a rounded bitterness.
IMG_20221010_152544393.jpg

Top Bottom